Chapter 12: For Some Peace and Quiet

It was a simple, sunny day. You and Aoi were doing your rounds around the estate, making sure that the Slayers there had been taken care of. It had been at least a week since your little break down and talk with Uzui and Kocho, and you were now officially introduced as an employee of the Butterfly Estate.

You worked directly under Kocho and along side Aoi and Tsuyuri even though they had a lot more experience under their belts. The three smaller girls, Naho, Sumi and Kiyo continued to help you as you familiarized yourself more with the estate.

Working with them was always fun, Aoi's stern attitude was welcomed as she continued to correct any mistakes you made. Tsuyuri was great company when you had the time to sit down for tea. She was also very formidable on the days she decided to join you in your morning training.

Having Kanao as a sparing partner was vastly different to Uzui. She had a speed that rivaled your own, and made you work up a sweat more than Uzui could. Her strikes would never come to be as strong as Uzui's but they were still painful. If you had to count the wins and losses between the two of you, you'd have to say it was 3-3 with two ties (Tsuyuri would say other wise and that you had won those two tied spars but you denied it every time she flipped her coin over it.) The only reason you were able to best Tsuyuri in those few spars was thanks to your training with Uzui. That week of Training with Uzui had done wonders for your body. You had more stamina, and more strength as you had continued on with the training regime after he had dropped you off at the Butterfly Estate.

It was hard to see Uzui now that you were working at the Butterfly Estate. He still stopped by to check up on you every once in a while, making sure that you had increased the difficulty of your self training. But it was becoming rare to see him as he seemed to have a lot on his mind in addition to the more missions he's taken on.

Diligent in your new duties, you had reached your final patient in the ward when the doors to the room were slammed open. Speeding into the room were many Kakushi, and with them came many Demon Slayers, some with wounds that you've never seen before. Your gaze zeroed in to the pinpricks on their limbs. 

Some of them didn't even seem to have any limbs, as if they had shrunk in size. These Slayers were wrapped up heavily by the Kakushi. One of them approached you with a note in hand. Other than not being able to read most of the message, the name of one of Kocho's many concoctions was easily recognizable to you. You called it out to Aoi, who had just started to diagnose the recent arrivals, as you rushed out of the room. "I'll go make the medicine right now!"

The two of you worked as two well oiled cogs in a machine. After categorizing the worst case, you worked in turns from them to the least urgent one. Aoi would unwrap the slayer, you would douse them in some sort of cleaning solution to sanitize the wounds. Then Aoi would lather on the ointment. You rewrapped them in new bandages before giving them a medicinal drink.

None of the Slayers had the energy to turn away the gross tasting liquid, as they were already close to the brink of death.

You murmured to Aoi, making sure to keep your voice low. "Did you see the bites? They looked like spider bites."

She nodded her head in agreement. Just the day before, one of the Slayers had come in with their limbs rapidly shrinking. Kocho had taken to the Slayer herself, dealing with whatever kind of venom or demon blood art that was in act. Once she was done, she had taken you and Aoi into her study and lab as she went over the medicine she had already begun to make.

Caw! "Insect pillar to report to Mount Natagumo!" Caw! "Insect pillar to report to Mount Natagumo! Lower moon spotted!" Caw!

Chills ran up your spine at the call of Kocho's crow.