Chapter 25: We Will Go On

"Well done! I'm very impressed."

His words almost came off as sarcasm. He was clearly a member of the Demon Slayer Corps.

Suma was quick to fire back at him. "We don't need the compliments from the likes of you! You're late!"

Pulling up from his shoulder, the stranger's snake hissed, succeeding in scaring Suma and getting her to jump back and grasping onto Uzui.

Unbothered by it all, the stranger continued to talk.

"What're you going to do about losing your hand and eye... in a fight with a mere upper six!"

You stopped following along with the conversation at that.

That was one of the Upper Moon Demons that you fought?

Your mind whirled down at thought of you and the boys fighting one of the Upper Moons. That would explain the kanji you saw written in the Sibling Demons' eyes. The strength that they held would have been enough to kill all of you if it weren't for Uzui's guidance and determination.

Their words slowly became muddled as you began to zone out. A cheer coming from behind you sounded like it was Tanjiro, but you couldn't tell. It was as if you were submerged underwater.

A high pitched ringing coming forth in your ears as the world faded in and out. There was a faint calling of your name as you brought one hand to your chest, the other to your mouth as you coughed.

Blood had begun to freely flow from your chest, your breath going ragged as you struggled to keep it deep and constant. The feeling of it bubbling up your throat had you hacking.

The ringing only got louder and louder as your eyelids felt heavier and heavier.

You were just so, so tired.

Inosuke was safe. You blinked slowly.

Zenitsu was safe. Your eyes were half lidded.

Tanjiro was safe. Despite the blood, the pain, and that annoying headache inducing ringing, you smiled.

Brother, was safe.

Your body finally gave in, slumping over as if someone turned off the lights of the world around you.

~~~~~

The ringing followed you into the darkness.

It was a constant high pitch sound that slowly morphed into something more familiar.

Almost like it was an alarm.

One that you would have usually had set on your phone.

Was it time to get up?

Why couldn't you open your eyes?

It fell silent.

It was as if someone had dismissed the alarm for you.

It was quiet in the darkness.

The silence more unnerving than the ringing.

Were your eyes even closed?

It felt like you were blinking, but there was nothing but darkness.

You tried squinting, looking for any source of light in this abyss.

All at once you were blinded by a shining light. It came out of nowhere.

Your arms were heavy as you brought them to cover your face.