Chapter 14: Not a Tsuguko Either

Tanjiro was a bit surprised at your answer.

He was thinking of letting you go about the rest of your day before asking again around dinner time as to not push you about it.

Zenitsu was just as shocked at your admittance.

This was the first time you've met them, why was it that you were so willingly to open up to them?

To tell you the truth, you didn't really know either. Yes, you contemplated that it would help you get better if you talked about what happened. But you never thought about going through with it, especially when you know that them (Tanjiro, Zentisu and Inosuke) are the main protagonists of this world and probably already had enough on their own shoulders to bare.

It was the gentle hold that Tanjiro had on your hand that had you opening your mouth. His grip was steady, but wasn't tight enough to be painful. A comforting warmth that you hadn't felt in what you believed to be months.

Your body was still trembling, but you made sure to get up and divide the food from the tray that you brought in earlier. Tanjiro must have taken it from your hands and set it on his bed while he was calling out to you.

"Here, eat first."

Inosuke was silent, not bothering to push up his boar mask to eat. He just laid there as you moved on to give Zenitsu his share. The small smile on your face as you gave him his food had a blush bloom on his. He stuttered out a thank you before digging in. Lastly with Tanjiro, he tried to set the food aside but you shook your head. "Eat, I'll be back."

He couldn't stop you this time as his hands were full, but you didn't take long to take your share of food from the kitchen to join them. The worried glances from the other girls you waved off with a smile that eased them, if only slightly.

The four of you (three since Inosuke still hadn't moved from his position) ate in silence. You sat on a bed across the room from them, to give them their personal space back, but to also give yourself more time to breath and think about what you were going to say.

What was there to say?

It's not like you could tell them everything with all the details. It might not seem too crazy knowing that they're making a living from killing Demons. But the idea of you coming from a whole different universe? No, the most you could talk about was the fall. It would better explain to them why you reacted the way you did with Zenitsu calling you an Angel... and maybe lighten the nightmares.

And you tried.

Through some more charades on both ends this time, you and Zenitsu came to the agreement of him to not call you angel any more (he still did though, in his head at least.) Both of them seemed a lot more relieved at your explanation and tried to promise you that they'd never mention it again. You stopped them from doing that though, this was something you had to come to terms with. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or a week from now. But surely, you'll get better with time, and talking to them helped more than you thought.

"(Y/N) where are you from?" Tanjiro was curious, since it was clear that you were not from around here.

You smiled at that, it wouldn't be all that harmful, yeah it would probably make you homesick, but you were already in the sharing mood. "I'm from (country,) It's pretty far from here."

Looking at the windows you were shocked to see that the sun was gone, dark clouds drifted through the skies.

"It's late, I'll do rounds in the morning." You made sure to take all their trays (Inosuke had somehow eaten his food without anyone noticing,) as you made your way out of the ward. "Good night."