Chapter 16

The Outcasts had gone back to the mansion. They were about 5 miles away from it, near the gate. "What now?" Amy asked. "I might just be able to hack into the security system." Evan said, taking out his laptop from a black backpack. He opened it up and started furiously typing away.

A few minutes later he shouted, "In!" "Alright!" Amy said. "Your room is on the third floor, correct?" Louie nodded. "Ok. Here, use this." Amy said, taking a grappling hook from her backpack. Louie took it. "Thanks. You guys wait for me back at the Metro." he said.

They nodded, a bit hesitantly. "Don't worry, I'll follow you. If I'm not back in 2 hours, then you can panic." he joked. They all rolled their eyes and left. Louie walked around to the side of the mansion his room's window was on. "Chloe." he whispered. His shadow morphed and became the girl he knew best. "What now?" she asked. "I need you to scout the house." he said. Chloe nodded and disappeared.

She flew in through a crack and her shadow covered the wall. She scanned the halls. Then she flew through the mansion, finally arriving at his room. But then she heard voices.

_________________________

"He has 4 different numbers on here." Lena said. "Pick one." Dewey said impatiently. She tapped one and tapped the call button. The ring tone went on for a minute before heading to voicemail, to which Lena hung up. She got the same result for the other 3 numbers.

They all sighed. "If no one picks up, we can't track them." Violet said. "Hmm." Huey said. Then Lena spotted Chloe eavesdropping. She quickly shot a blast of magic at her. The others turned to see what had happened. Chloe stared confused at their shocked faces until she finally realized what Lena had done.

"W-what are you?" Huey asked. "Hey! Your that shadow that stole the Book of Truth!" Webby exclaimed. The rest of them were shocked at this information. Chloe stared at them. "Take this!" Dewey ran at her and tried to kick her, but hit the wall instead. "Dewey, she's a shadow, remember?" Huey reminded him. "A magical element." Lena added. "Wait, you mean..?" Violet asked. "Yes. She is the one the Book of Truth told us about." Lena confirmed. They gasped.

Chloe tried to move, but found she was pinned to the spot. She panicked. She sent a mental  message to Louie. Since she was his shadow, she could talk to him via telepathy.

___________________________

Louie stood outside the mansion. Chloe had been gone for a while now. He wondered  what was going on in there. Then a voice sounded in his head. It was Chloe's.

"Help! Lena used magic and now I'm stuck and they can all see me! Your brothers, the pink girl, the purple girl, and Lena are all in your room! They tried your phone to contact the gang but no one picked up. Help!"

Then the voice was gone. Louie immediately sprang into action. He flicked his wrist, sending out the grappling hook. It caught on a chunk of rock and Louie pulled himself up and swung in through the window.

He saw them all turn to him, wide-eyed and frozen in shock. Louie took the opportunity to mumble a few words. Then and green aura surrounded him, creating a force field around him. Lena was the first to recover. She sent blasts of magic at him as he ran across the room. He jumped and spun her way, sending a stronger blast of magic to counter hers. It broke through and blasted Lena back. Webby and Violet helped her up, as Dewey and Huey ran towards Louie.

Dewey grabbed a nearby lamp and threw it at Louie. The force field around him revealed itself again, as the lamp shattered upon hitting it. Louie ran over to Chloe and mumbled a few words. Then she flew up, free from Lena's spell.

Louie turned towards the group, Chloe by his side. By now, they had all recovered. "Louie, please. We don't want to fight! Just please come back!" Huey said. "Yeah! That shadow thingy is dangerous! It came from F.O.W.L!" Dewey shouted.

"Dangerous? Who just threw a lamp at me?" he asked sarcastically. "Th-that's different! She came from F.O.W.L! They keep trying to kill us!" Dewey said.

"No, they keep trying to kill you." he said.

They stared confused at him.

"The only reason they do that is because you adventure! I don't. They want you not me." he said. "But what about-" Dewey was cut off.

"They tried to hurt you, Dewey. The video game you thought you were playing with Launchpad, was real. Steelbeak tried to kill you. Huey, they tried to hurt you. Gandra Dee is part of F.O.W.L. She helped Mark Beaks become a monster. Lena, Webby, Violet, they almost killed Lena. Phantom Blot almost sucked all the magic out of her, and we know what that would do. Black Herron almost killed Webby too. But when did they attack me?" he said.

They were all speechless.

Then the door opened and Della and Scrooge were standing there. They were shocked to see the ransacked room and all the kids in a speechless state. Then they spotted Louie.

"Lad-" Scrooge was cut off as Della ran towards her youngest. "Louie!" she shouted. Louie jumped and sent a spark of magic towards her direction. She stopped, shocked that her son had tried to attack her. Louie jumped, doing a flip in midair, and snatched his phone from Lena's hand. He ran over to the window, flicking his wrist and letting out the grappling hook. It swung and hitched itself around a large tree. He turned to all their shocked faces.

"They want you, and they're not gonna stop until you do. The enemy of my friend is my enemy, making you my enemy."

With that, he jumped out the window and swung over, landing on the lawn. They all rushed over to the window, just in time to see him disappear from view.