20 - Ring Shopping

After the fight was broken up, Dick and Jason left to go to Bludhaven. Jason planning a stop at Roys to grab his stuff and end their relationship. And Dick mentally preparing himself to be murdered by an angry alien princess when he confesses.

Bruce rushes off to the office, several meetings needing his attention. Clark, resolved to take the next step, gathers his meager $5,000 in savings and emergency funds. He makes his way to Damian's room nervously. Hopefully he hadn't been misreading signals but it seemed like they were friends now. Or at least Damian was okay with him. Damian calls out for him to enter before he can knock.

"Hey, I need to ask you something." Clark attempts to smile. Damian doesn't look up from his book. "What is it you need, Clark?"

   "I want to know how you'd feel about me proposing to Bruce." Damian freezes. Slowly setting the book down and staring at Clark intensely. His brows furrow ever so slightly in confusion. "What does my opinion matter?" 

  Clark awkwardly smiles again, "Well, I want to make sure I don't make you uncomfortable in your own home. You may not be ready to see your dad get married, after all. And, I want your blessing because I want you to consider me your step dad when I marry Bruce." Clark is honestly worried Damian will behead him when his brows furrow deeper. Instead he smiles, ever so slightly, but it's a smile nonetheless. "I respect the consideration you've shown me just now. From my studying of data pertaining to the treatment of step parents and remarrying bio parents towards their children, it seems that this courtesy is a rarity and most minors are expected to adapt without their input being considered. That being said, you make father happy and I trust you with his heart, his secrets and his life. You have my blessing. Will you be asking all of my brothers this as well, or just me because I am a minor?" 

    Clark smiles brightly. "I am so relieved you're okay with this. I did not wanna get killed by you." He chuckles and runs his hand through his hair. "I think I'll ask them all, but you have the best style so I have special favor to ask." Damian smirks, "Of course I'll help you pick out a ring." 

. . .

   Alfred drops them off in front a jewelry store. To be specific the most expensive one in Gotham. Damian notices Clark looking a bit down and inquires. "Clark, why are you unhappy? Cold feet already?" Clark thinks that might have been a joke. "No, it's just, your father deserves the best. And all I have is $5,000. That's literally every penny I have." Damian considers this for a moment. "My father won't care about the price and what you have will get an excellent men's ring. It's women's rings that are super expensive. But, for a wedding present I will give you whatever the difference is if it's over your budget." He raises hand to silence Clark. "I have my own money from some stocks I own in a few non Wayne companies, so this money is mine. Not father's. I just want to give you a little extra in case the perfect ring is a bit higher." 

   Clark scoops Damian up in a big, loving hug. "You're the best. I'm going to be the luckiest step dad on earth if Bruce says yes." Damian wiggles out of the hug and fixes his clothes. "When he says yes. He is absolutely smitten with you." Clark beams at Damian. Excited again, Clark follows Damian into the store. 

    Damian and Clark scour the jewelry cases. "Don't tell them who we're buying for. They'll jack up prices and try and pressure you into the priciest jewelry here. Just tell them the budget." Clark nods and tells the worker about the budget. He shows them a few lovely rings. Plain silver, gold with designs, ones with diamonds and jewels, and finally the perfect one.  They both hone in on it. "This is perfect!" Clark exclaims. Damian nods in approval. "It will definitely suit him. And it isn't over your budget." Clark hands over his money and gingerly accepts the gift bag. Staring through it with his x-ray vision he marvels at the beautiful ring.