Harry James Potter

Title: Not A Fairytale, But I'll Take It

Pairing: Harry Potter x Slytherin!reader

Summary: Who ever said the Chosen One couldn't go on a date with war on the horizon? And who said it couldn't be a Slytherin?

Word Count: 1.9k

In the wizarding world, being a half-blooded witch or wizard wasn't typically looked down upon. Most wizards were half-bloods - in fact - pureblood wizards had grown few and far between.

There were many different types of half-bloods, however. This sounds incredibly strange, yes, but it was also true. You can either be a half-blood because both your parents were half-bloods or you could have another fate- to be half-blood because one parent was pureblood and another was muggle-born. You have found that the latter, unfortunately for you, wasn't treated as well by some.

You were born two years before you-know-who's fall to a Muggle-born father and a pure-blood mother. Your parent's love story is one you have been told every night since you were a young girl due to your own insistence. It was a tale of a boy and a girl who fiercely loved one another even if the world wanted them apart.

A girl from an important pure-blood family. What was a pure-blood? You had asked. A pure-blood was a witch or wizard who came from a long line of wizards - you had been told - some of these families don't want Muggle-borns and even Half-bloods to associate with them. But why? No good reason - you had been told - only fear. And a boy from Muggle parents - a doctor for a mother and a lawyer for a father. What are Muggles and Muggle-borns you had asked? Muggles are non-wizards who had no magic - you had been told - and Muggle-borns were wizards who came from Muggle parents. Unlike pure-bloods they are the first wizards in their entire family.

This boy and girl already had two big differences that set that oceans apart but they were also from different Hogwarts houses. The Muggle-born boy a Gryffindor and the Pure-blood girl a Slytherin. These houses didn't like each other. Why not you had asked. No good reason - you had been told - only prejudices passed down from their parents.

Prejudices, you had decided at a very young age, were stupid things only fools bothered with. Death, you had also decided, was just as stupid. You were only a baby when the first wizarding had ended and you were only a month old when your mother had been killed by Death Eaters. As you got older, you found out the truth that wasn't the fairytale you were told as a bedtime story- that your mother was a pureblood from a family that believed in associated with only their kind and supported you-know-who in his ventures, but she fell in love with a Muggle-born boy and loved him so very much when he asked her to marry him at graduation, she didn't hesitate and never looked back. Your parents were in the Order and they knew it was dangerous but your parents were brave and they didn't care what risk was so long as it was the right thing to do. The danger took your mother's life and yes it was the right thing and you were proud of her, but you never knew her and you only wish you had.

You had your father, though, who raised you. Despite being Muggle-born - a justification you never understood because to you, blood status doesn't determine worth - he rose in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Department and when you started your first year, he was the Head of that Department. Because of his department - he knew Arthur Weasley well and got on with the Weasleys. You did, too. Ron was your age and you both loved Quidditch. Though all the Weasleys loved Quidditch, you were still close with Ron.

You hit a hiccup your first year at the sorting ceremony when you were sorted into your mother's house - Slytherin. You would have been quite proud to be a Slytherin under normal circumstances. However, there was a war on the horizon in your sixth year and from the very start you knew you weren't welcome. You weren't sure why Slytherins had a habit of hating anyone who wasn't pureblood but they did. And house comradery being thrown right out the window, they treated you as bad as they did Muggle-borns. You brushed yourself off quickly after being saddened by this and realized you didn't need to be friends with Slytherins. Who cared what a prat like Malfoy thought about you? You didn't - that was for sure - and by your sixth year with your shiny prefect badge, that still made Parkinson mad Snape chose you over her and Malfoy still angered beyond belief, and your top marks all with a new potions master who loved you - well, you couldn't find it in you to care what purebloods thought about you.