Draco Malfoy

Title: What Should've Been

Pairing: Draco Malfoy x Muggle-born!reader

Summary: You and Draco fell in love but war got in the way of what should have been

Word Count: 2.7k

Yesterday
All my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Your relationship with Draco started unexpectedly. One evening you were in the library studying and you saw him, Draco Malfoy. He was different than when you usually saw him. Maybe it was because he was alone for once or maybe it was because he was in a part of the library so far back in the corner no one ever came to. Well, no one but you, it seemed.

He looked shocked at another person's presence and you were full of dread. You waited for him to call you a mudblood, but when he didn't you stayed. "Do you mind if I share your table? I usually study here. No one comes here typically–"

With a nod he interrupted you, "Yes, I know what you mean. I prefer the silence." You didn't know what surprised you, the lack of hatred in his voice and coldness in his eyes or the fact he had no problem carrying on a conversation with someone like you. You didn't care if purebloods looked down on you, but it was surprising that someone like him didn't mind talking to someone like you.

The silence went on for a while before you broke it. "You're quite different than you make yourself out to be. Either that or you're having a very good day."

He chuckled with a smile and you weren't sure which one it was that made you smile in return, but it did. "Some people are more than what meets the eye." He shrugged.

You spent the rest of the evening with him laughing quieting and talking. When you left the library, you found yourself studying with Draco every time you went to the library. It was a friendship that you cherished. You didn't tell anyone about this friendship and you certainly didn't tell anyone when it turned into something more.

You can't say when you officially were with Draco, but all that mattered was that you had him and he had you. You spent every moment with him that you could when no one would notice and it was peaceful. It seemed that you both had what the other desperately needed. Your fifth year was full of laughter, stolen kisses, shared chocolate frogs because you had Draco who made Hogwarts under Umbridge tolerable, if not dare you say, enjoyable.

*

Suddenly
I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hangin' over me
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Your sixth year was doomed from the very start. You-know-who was back and there was a war looming in the distance. It was, in hindsight, a horrible time to fall in love. You and Draco made due with smiles in halls when no one could see and times together in the room of requirement. At the time, the stolen kisses and shared moments felt magical. You were so in love and enraptured with one another. It was the kind of love the made you feel dizzy. When you were with him all that mattered in the world was Draco and how he made you feel. It was a wondrous thing, to be so in love with someone in the time of a horrid war looming over you. It gave you a sense of hope, but doesn't love always do that to people? It makes you think you can climb mountains you really can't.

But war was an ugly creature who destroyed love and tore people apart without mercy. You knew something was changing in him. You could tell. His expressions, the constant looking over his shoulder, and how he was losing too much weight to be healthy and the way his skin turned a tinge of grey. He was scared.