Neville Longbottom

Title: The Snake Doesn't Always Bite

Pairing: Neville Longbottom x Slytherin!reader

Summary: Neville is dating a Slytherin who is a complete sweetheart, which shocks the Golden Trio.

Word Count: 1.4k

You bit your lip nervously as you stood hand in hand with Neville outside the Gryffindor common room. You and Neville had been dating for quite some time now and had been going on steady for a few months. Naturally, you would be meeting each other's friends after being officially together. This typically wouldn't be much of an issue, but it was in this case seeing as you were a Slytherin and Neville was a Gryffindor. Your houses infamously didn't get along at all.

Personally, you didn't mind Gryffindors one bit and held no ill regard for them but you knew that their first impression of anyone with emerald robes with a snake emblem led to immense skepticism. You didn't hold much weight in your fellow Slytherins judgements against Gryffindors, but you certainly couldn't blame how the Gryffindors acted towards your house.

Especially with how one Draco Malfoy made a hobby out of targeting everyone - but in particular Gryffindors - by calling them the foulest names he could. Unlike many of the people in your house, you didn't approve of their treatments of other houses and you definitely didn't agree with many of their pureblood mania beliefs. While you were pureblood your parents didn't put much stock in the beliefs the Malfoys held dear to their hearts. Who cared what your blood status was, anyways? We all have magical abilities whether someone can trace our magical ancestry back centuries or another is the first witch or wizard in their family. Your beliefs clearly didn't match a large portion of your housemates. Your acceptance of muggle-borns and your overall kind and soft nature, which wasn't typically for your house, led to you becoming more estranged with some of your fellow Slytherins in your sixth year as tensions were rising in the Wizarding World.

Right now, this didn't matter, however because you had Neville. Sweet, kind-hearted, brave, and noble Neville. When you first met Neville in your first year in Herbology, he was scared of you and avoided you like the plague. Throughout your first three years at Hogwarts he continued to avoid you at every corner because of the fact that you were a Slytherin. You most certainly couldn't blame him with how the other Slytherins treated him.

Then, in your fourth year something changed. You were paired up in Herbology and you two just completely hit it off. You found it was so easy to talk to him and a quick friendship formed. As friendships often do, this led to something more. Glances lingered longer than they did before and the redness on your cheeks in the greenhouse wasn't from the heat but was instead from the brushing of your fingertips as you tended to plants. As time went by in the limbo of 'what are we?' - because it certainly wasn't just friends anymore - Neville gathered up his Gryffindor courage to ask you out on a date. And well, you know how that story ends. Date after date, then boyfriend and girlfriend with all that it entails, one of which is meeting their friends.

So here you were, hand in hand with your boyfriend about to meet his friends and you were as nervous as you could be.

"Are you sure they'll still like me even if I'm, well you know." You trailed off.

He gave you a crooked smile. "A Slytherin?"

"Yes!" You said exasperated at the amused look on his face. "Don't laugh, Neville. Your friends won't like people like me."

"People like you?" He asked softly. As you nodded at his response, he continued with a teasing smile. "Someone kind? Wonderful? The most beautiful -"