Luna Lovegood

Title: To Be Loved By Her

Pairing: Luna Lovegood x reader

Summary: You and Luna have been friends for years. You begin to fancy her and are certain there isn't any way she feels the same. She couldn't, could she?

Word Count: 1.1k

You weren't sure how it had happened or perhaps even when. All you did know it was now impossible to be around her without red hues coating your cheeks and stuttering your words out. You had known Luna since your first year and now after your four years your heart had made the very unfortunate mistake of fancying her. You thought it was perhaps a miracle that you hadn't felt this way sooner. With her long blonde hair that glimmered in the sunlight, bright blue eyes that were always wide with wonder, and her voice that was the most beautiful thing you've ever heard. How you hadn't felt this way at the very start wasn't something you could ever comprehend.

Liking Luna wasn't a virtuous thing of you to do. It wasn't right, you thought. She was your friend and it was wrong to just start fancying your own friend. This thought has always made you feel waves of guilt hit you. It was like you were an imposter, only pretending to be her friend now when all you found yourself wondering was if she would ever think about you the way you nearly always thought of her. But deep down you knew she wouldn't think of you in that way. How could she? She was a wondrous sight and was a small piece of heaven in Earth's hands. She couldn't love you in any way other than a friend, what you wanted was impossible. There were lots of things that you weren't sure about right now- Umbridge, the war that seems to be coming faster and faster, if the DA would get caught, but the only thing you were sure about was that Luna Lovegood didn't like you in any other way other than as a friend. The sad realization was always being thrown at you and you felt yourself breaking your own heart. The cycle of loving her, hoping that she feels the same and knowing she never would was an inevitability for you. You were stuck being in love with Luna and the cruel fate of your friend never feeling the same. This made normal things like going to the library with her being painful knowing your heart would both swell and break at the sight of her.

On this evening after dinner, you sat in the library at a table next to Luna as you poured over Astronomy charts. Luna was besides you as she doodled away on a scrap of parchment. You were so focused on the chart in front of you in an attempt to study for your Astronomy exam that would be coming up sooner than thought, you didn;t notice Luna's gaze on you. Eventually, you hear the scratching of parchment from her doodling cease and looked up from the chart. Turning your head in her direction you found her gazing at you with her dreamy expression. She had the look in her eyes that you knew from knowing her meant she was daydreaming. "Luna?" You asked in a quiet voice. "Everything alright?"

She broke out of her daydream but still held that dreamy look in her eyes. "Oh yes," She said in an airy voice. "I was thinking about my dream last night."

"Your dream?" You asked, interested. Luna had always loved to tell you about her dreams. They were always about the strangest yet wonderful things. "What was it about?"

"Oh, I can't tell you."

"What?" You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "Why can't you tell me? You always tell me about your dreams, Luna."

"Well, I don't think I can tell you about this one." She said thoughtfully.

"Well, if you can't tell me," You trailed off as you frowned slightly and turned back to your Astronomy chart to get started with your work again.

Luna suddenly said before you could get back to your homework. "I had a dream about you last night. I'd tell you what happened, but it's way too inappropriate."

Your eyes widened slightly and you had turned to her with your mouth slightly ajar. "I'm sorry?" You asked in a perplexed voice.

"You didn't hear me?" She asked in a soft voice. "I had a dream about you and it was too inappropriate for me to tell you."

"What?" You asked, getting even more confused than you had before. You had to be misunderstanding her - she didn't have an inappropriate dream about you, she couldn't have. Then, you asked a question that you couldn't stop yourself from asking in a voice so vulnerable it made you cringe, "You dream about me?"

"Yes," She answered in a simple voice. You took a deep breath, trying to will yourself to calm down. You felt a need to ask her what the dream was about or to tell her that you dream about her too - of dreams where you kiss her and are in her arms. You couldn't get the words out, though, and were willed to silence. "That is interesting." She said in a dreamy voice that broke you out of the trace you were absorbed in as your thoughts swirled around your mind.

"What's interesting?" You asked softly, becoming more bemused by the minute.

"Well, it's just that I was just wondering how long it's going to be, before you realise I like you and admit that you like me back."

"What?" You gasped. Her facial features remained the same which made you ever more surprised and unnerved. Luna fancied you? Shock coursed through your veins, not even sure what to do. "I - I didn't know." You stuttered softly.

She only smiled happily in response. "I know." She said airily. She looked into your widened eyes for a moment, lost in the intoxicating color of your eyes.

"Aren't you going to kiss me?" She asked softly. In return, you only froze so surprised by her bluntness. Your mind grappled with the realization that Luna liked you. Luna fancied you and she wanted to kiss you. These thoughts swimming in your mind didn't allow you to say anything - to answer her. Your lack of a response didn't faze Luna as a smile only grew on her face. She leaned forward and reached out, gently caressing the soft skin of your jaw and with one look to your eyes still widened, she captured your lips in hers. As her soft lips pressed against yours, you reacted immediately kissing back as the surprise that the girl you've wanted to kiss was doing just that to you had worn off. Your lips folded into one another's passionately as all the pent up adoration and love had been released into this kiss. When you both pulled away to catch your breath, you leaned your forehead against hers as let out a breathy laugh and her dreamy giggle in return only urged you to smile widely in joy which she returned in an instant.