Cedric Diggory

Title: Invisible String

Pairing: Cedric Diggory x reader

Summary: Years of pining after your best friend and the end of your time at Hogwarts approaching isn't enough for you to make a move, but perhaps a comment from a local muggle waitress will enough be for you and Cedric to see what has been in front of yourselves for years.

Word Count: 2.5k

Summer breeze hit your cheeks, leaving a warm smile spreading across your lips instead of grimace that would be there in its place during the brutal winter wind in Scotland during your term at Hogwarts. Your skin held a glow of radiance from the summer sun after months of absorbing its warmth. With a deep breath, you tilted you head back and your hair flowed from the sea's breeze as you took in as much of the taste of summer that you could.

Summer holiday from Hogwarts was long in theory and short in practice. Nearly three months of no school with the freedom to do whatever you wished made the days go by seamlessly. Without fail, every year when your Hogwarts letter with the required books for the school year came you could have sworn that summer holiday went by in a blink in an eye. Perhaps, if you could teach yourself to live without blinking an eye then summer would last forever. This would be a dual purpose, because if you never had to blink an eye, then you would never have to go a second without seeing Cedric. Even a fraction of a second where you couldn't look at him was a moment you wished you spend gazing at his features, despite how irrelevant the time it would be. His honey eyes and milky skin wouldn't change in that amount of time nor would the brightness of his smile or the softness of your hair. Nothing would change, least of all your feelings for him - your feelings that for years now had surpassed friends, or rather, best friends. Best friends didn't suffer from a rapidly beating heart at a mere smile and best friends certainly didn't wonder what it would feel like to have their best friend's lips on theirs. Nothing what you felt about Cedric was platonic.

Now in the summer just a mere week away from the beginning of your final year at Hogwarts your feelings had dwindled a hair. They grew constantly despite your internal pleas for them not to. It wasn't as though you hadn't tried to push these feelings down and move past whatever you wished you could have with Cedric. You dated Roger Davies for much of last term in a futile attempt to move on from Cedric. It all seemed to be easy enough when Cedric's then girlfriend Cho Chang introduced you to him and you hit it off. He was kind and charming enough, not to mention incredibly intelligent and talented at Quidditch. The relationship was only an excuse for you to bury your feelings, though, and it was impossible for Roger to win your heart when Cedric already won it years ago even if you knew he didn't want to. You tried to make it work for with Roger, but even he knew what you couldn't admit - their was no way moving past the truth. In all honesty, you couldn't wish for these feelings to go away. This was proven once again for what you could assume was the millionth time as you were walking down the gravel path to a local Muggle diner with Cedric as his hair flowed in the summer breeze did nothing except remind you of your deep rooted love for him.

If you had thought that Cedric felt even a miniscule of what you did, then you would have said something. You would have told him you loved him, that you thought of him endlessly, that he was the firstYou knew he didn't, though, and didn't have enough courage to wreck your friendship. You would leave that kind of nerve to the bold Gryffindors and stick to what you knew best - loyalty. When you first took notice that his smile made you feel things it hadn't before and him tugging your hand made you feel serenity throughout your whole body, you decided then and there you wouldn't let these feelings destroy your friendship. At the end of the day unrequited love was worth it if you still had Cedric, even if it was only as a friend.