Draco Malfoy

Title: The 1

Pairing: Ex!Draco Malfoy x reader

Summary: Watching Draco move on isn't any easier just because you aren't in love with him anymore

Word Count: 2.8k

As you entered the Ministry of Magic the loud sound of your heels clicked against the dark tiles of the main floor of the building. The repetitive sound of your heels would have stood out by itself and hit the tall walls of the Ministry if it wasn't for the sea of people weaving in and out. In and out the elevator they went. In and out the doors they went. Dress robes of dark colors flooded your vision and it wasn't too different compared to the Ministry a few years ago in terms of fashion choices. The only difference was the meaning of the clothing - before dark meant evil behind power, but now the dark hues only meant professionalism. But a lot could change in a year, even more so in two years.

It was only two years ago the Ministry was infiltrated by Voldemort. That was another difference - you could say his name now without being terribly brave or terribly ignorant. Your time at Hogwarts may not have been a peaceful one but it had led to were would you stood - on the floors of the Ministry as your heels clicked. You moved with purpose and intent as your shoulders were pushed back. Hermione stood by your side - her hair that had once been a mane was pushed back simply but elegantly and she walked with that same purpose you did.

Hermione had left your last year to hunt Horcruxes with Harry and Ron while you stayed at Hogwarts fighting a silent rebellion alongside Neville, Ginny, and Luna where you fought against the Carrows and helped hide Muggleborns. You and Hermione had fought your last years in different ways, each dangerous in their own right. When the Battle of Hogwarts came you fought valiantly and were lucky enough to come out alive. That's all surviving came to - luck. You knew it would have been just as easy to get hit by a curse as it was to block it.

It could have been this luck you knew affected the reason you were still standing after the battle that you took the career path you did after you helped pick up the pieces of the war. You had known not only were you immensely lucky to survive but that the pieces of rubbish that were once part of the Castle you lived in for seven years wasn't the extent of the damage from Voldemort and his followers. There was healing that needed to be done, not only from death but from the evil Voldemort had put in place at the Ministry.

When Kingsley had been made the Minister of Magic you had been just as thrilled as everyone, if not more so. Hermione had matched your enthusiasm. Kingsley had the calming and strong presence the wizarding world needed after the war and there was no one else that could have the wizarding community's trust as he had.

You had known after the war that you wanted - needed - to help your wizarding community. You were well aware of the damage done by the evil forces when they were in power and needed to help in the Ministry. How you would do this, you weren't sure, but it turned out you didn't need to worry about the 'how' when Kingsley came to you asking if you would work aside him and soon to be Hermione Granger when she graduated her eighth year. You didn't ask what you would be doing before you agreed heartily because you knew if Kingsley Shacklebolt was asking you for help and Hermione would be by your side that wasn't a job you would say no to.

As the new Minister of Magic, Kingsley needed help 'fixing things' as he put it simply. There had been so much damage done by the dark forces that had crawled themselves into the Ministry that he knew he could not complete this without help. You had asked him why he had chosen you. You had understood why he chose Hermione perfectly, but you? That was something you needed to know. It had seemed that you had unwittingly become a war hero through fighting against Death Eaters at Hogwarts your seventh year when the DA was reinstated, saving numerous lives in the Battle of Hogwarts and helping the Order of The Phoenix after the war. You and Hermione, it seemed, had no lack of admiration in the wizarding world by the age of 17. This and both of your passion for fixing the broken system of the Ministry of Magic and the prejudices set in place in the laws made the pair of you perfect for the help Kingsley desperately sought.