Neville Longbottom

Title: Exile

Pairings: Neville Longbottom, Ex!Draco Malfoy x reader

Summary: Despite the happiness you found in Neville's arms after the war, the ghost of your past still haunts you in passing.

Word Count: 1.7k

The dainty crystals of a stately chandelier hung from the tall ceiling of the room you stood in packed with Ministry officials. The men wore pristine dark suits matching with impeccable bowties while the women wore sophisticated gowns with their hair styled gracefully. Everyone there held a wave a joy on this evening as the moonlight shone through to the room which battled with the candlelight warm light. The light of the candlelight won the darkness of the moonlight which was not unlike life after the war.

The war had left you feeling battered and bruised, but somehow you ended up where you were with a ring on your finger placed there by the person who healed you. The glimmering diamond caught the light of the hall you stood in with Neville's arm in yours. This ring was placed on your finger only a week ago by Neville in the promise of a better future in each other's arms. By his side and in his arms you could feel safe and cared for. In school before - and unfortunately during - the war the man you now loved was only a friend and nothing more. You were busy falling in love with someone else who left you shattered and furious to notice the kind, shy boy who would have laid his life on the line to bring you joy. It had shown in your youth when he saw you got a bad mark in Charms and picked your favorite flower from the black lake that he would leave in your books - a gift from him to you that left his heart swelling at your smile. It was only years later after your relationship with Draco fell apart at your discovery of the wicked black ink on his arm that you saw Neville in a different light. Neville was brave, kind, and he loved you. You were by each other's side in your seventh year when there was Death Eaters in charge that had a penchant for cruelty. You cleaned each other's wounds and found friendship in his heart. It was only natural for something to grow and blossom that surpassed friendship. You built one another up again after the war ended and were irrevocably in love. So much in love that neither of you could not bear to leave each other's side. Your love for Neville was so different than what you had before him with Draco. Neville healed you and grew with you while Draco had only burned you and left you shattered in broken pieces. The way his hand fit in yours reminded you of where you belonged - with him. Your friends that stood by the two of you in the Hall of the Ministry's Gala was only a further reminder of where your future was taking you and you held no energy to ponder of the person who broke you.

"Wedding planning, then?" Hermione said excitedly across from you where your right hand was wrapped around Neville's arm. Hermione shot a thrilled expression to Ron whose hand she was holding. Looking back at you a gleeful smile spread across her lips. "I can barely wait. This is all too exciting. Let me see it again, why don't you?" She grinned and brought your left hand forward without waiting for your response as she examined your engagement ring for what you were sure was the fifth time this evening.

As your friend gazed at the diamond on your finger you drew your bottom lip between your teeth not paying any mind to the way the action was bound to ruin your lipstick you had carefully put on earlier. With a glance to Neville, he gave you a small nod already reading your mind. "I had hoped to wait at dinner this Saturday." You said smiling fondly at Hermione.

"Wait for what?" She asked slightly perplexed as she pulled her gaze from your ring to your excited expression, her hand still holding her place on yours when she was gazing at the jewel on your finger.

"For me to ask you to be my maid of honor." You said hopefully with the hint of excitement that was reflected on your lips. "There's no time like the present, though, is there?"