𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕚𝕟 (𝕀)

It was nearly a week later before she saw the Mandalorian again. This latest bounty of his must have been more difficult than some of the others. She could remember days where he would turn over fobs in less than a full cycle.

As the Razorcrest docked across the plain from where she sat, she cocked her head to the side curiously as she watched the armored man descend from the ramp, noticing something odd floating by his hip. It appeared to be a small cradle of some kind. And even from her distance, she could make out the small head of a young-looking creature poking out from inside. She watched him the whole walk over to her station, noting absentmindedly the way he walked clear past other mechanics on his way over.

Awkwardly, she raised a hand in greeting as he finally stopped directly in front of where she sat.

"Anything I can do for you today?" she asked as casually as she dared.

The Mandalorian glanced back over at his ship once before turning to her again,

"Just give her a look over. We ran into some trouble along the way." he said as vaguely as always.

Ellia gave him a cort nod in understanding.

"I can pay you once I return with the pay out from the bounty." he added.

Again she nodded absentmindedly, her attention slowly drawn towards the floating cradle at his side. More specifically, she got a better look at the little green creature inside. It looked to be a baby, with big, floppy and triangular ears and a pair of the brightest eyes she had ever seen.

"Oh, he's adorable" she mumbled quietly to herself.

She had nearly reached out to touch one of the kid's big ears as he seemed to babble up at her curiously, but she could sense the way the Mandalorian grew tense in front of her.

That's when she looked back up at him, for real this time.

And even though she was only looking at a mask, a glimpse of her distorted image staring back at her, she somehow understood.

The kid was his bounty.

Ellia gulped slowly, and stood up from her station.

"Right-" she coughed awkwardly, "I'll just get to- working on the Crest then."

With that, she promptly spun on her heels peeling off towards the distant ship.

Missing the way that the Mandalorian looked on after her for a moment longer before eventually making his way into the town.

. . .

It was well into the afternoon, practically evening when the Mandalorian returned. Ellia had adopted her signature lounge up against one of the landing gears of the Razorcrest. It made her feel better to stay with the ship until their pilots returned (unless they specifically made it known that they were going to be in town for more than the day), but especially with the Mandalorian. She couldn't imagine what he could do to her if something happened to that ship.

When he arrived back at the field, she noticed that his appearance had changed again. Just like he had the second shoulder plate replaced, every single piece of armor that donned his body was now made out of gleaming, silver beskar. It was almost blinding, and Ellia found herself catching her breath in a brief moment of awe.

With the sun setting on the horizon, she tried not to notice how the child was no longer with him.

Evidently, he was attempting to do much of the same, barely even sparing her a glance as he dropped off the credits at her feet and angrily stalked up the ramp.