𝕋𝕙𝕖 ℍ𝕖𝕚𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕤 (𝕀𝕀)

Being out on the open ocean was rough. Both metaphorically and literally.

The sea spray hit Ellia's face so hard that it had begun to feel like a thousand tiny little knives cutting into her skin as she stood close to the edge of the Quarren's boat.

Around them, the crew moved about, readying the ship for a fishing stop they had said they were taking before leading them the rest of the way to the Mandalorian's.

There was a sick feeling inside of Ellia's stomach that had began festering ever since they had left the inn, and she didn't think it had anything to do with the chowder.

Din was stood close to her side, staring out at the water intensely. The two of them hadn't spoken so much as a word since they boarded the ship.

The head Quarren walked over to the group, propping his hand up against the railing, the other was holding a fishing net over his shoulder.

"You ever see a Mamacore eat?" he asked them casually, "Quite a sight."

Ellia shifted uncomfortably on her feet, glancing up at the ever-silent Mandalorian out of the corner of her eyes.

When neither of them gave him an answer, the Quarren sighed.

"Child might take an interest." he tried, "You should take a look."

Eventually Din budged, walking over towards the large grate at the center of the ship's hull, the child's cradle following close behind. Underneath the metal, the ocean water splashed around as they brought the boat to a halt.

"Come on over here." the Quarren ushered, "Get a good view. Let the kid see."

"Alright, close enough." Din muttered in reference to the cradle as it floated to a stop at the very edge of the grate. Inside, the child peered over the side with interest.

A large crane hand slowly moved a net full of fish out over the grate, the mechanics groaning as it did.

"There we go." one of them muttered. With another whine of the metal, the grate slid open, fully revealing the water below. From the other end of the ship, another one of the Quarren pushed a lever, breaking open the net and dropping the school of fish into the water. Bubbles immediately began forming on the surfaces once they disappeared into the depths.

"She must be hungry." the head Quarren noted from next to Din, "Oftentimes we'll feed her in the early morning... but we missed that 'cause we were goin' out of port!"

It all happened so fast.

The Quarren had suddenly swung his net around, clocking the back of the child's cradle, and sending it careening out overtop the open water.

"No!" Din shouted.

From below, a large, circular mouth lined with close to a thousand teeth emerged from the depths, closing in around the child and it's cradle in one gulp.

Din immediately jumped in after it.

"Lock it up!" the Quarren shouted, "Go! Go, now!"

"Din!" Ellia screamed, lurching forwards towards the grate.

"Grab her!" someone else shouted.

Immediately her arms were forcibly twisted behind her back before she even had a chance to reach for either of the weapons on her waist. She cried out in pain, but her attention was still trained on the bubbling water below the now locked grate.

She tore desperately at the grip of the Quarren, so hard she thought she was for sure bound to break skin. Who's, though, she didn't care.

"The beskar is ours!" one of the Quarren laughed victoriously.