Cream - Angst + fluff

A/N: Sorry this took so long cray_t0xic23!

Also, a little warning, this contains some uncensored cussing. Continue reading at your own risk!

—————

Dream sighed sadly as he took in the forest around him. Ever since the 'incident', he had not been very fond of trees, nor really nature of that matter. Especially not apples.

Dream was currently taking a walk, trying his best to enjoy nature and to not get traumatic flashbacks every time he even remotely glanced at a tree of any kind. It was really annoying, but that was why Dream was trying to fix it today.

Sadly for him, he didn't know he was walking near by Nightmare's mansion.

Dream's POV:

I was walking through the forest — just looking at the ground since I gave up trying to fix my hatred for trees, when I heard some rustling through the bushes around me. Any normal monster would have brushed it off as wind, but I am much smarter than that. I stopped walking and became more aware of my surroundings, waiting for someone or something to jump out at me.

As I expected, I saw a figure jump out behind me with a giant, red, glowing knife. I quickly dodged it and turned around, to see Cross as the one who attacked me. That surprised me, and my guard fell.

That was obviously a mistake, and Cross stabbed my left arm, piercing his knife straight through it. I let out a sharp gasp as I felt the pain and then I saw that Cross was trying to attack again.

I dodged once more and I was more concerned as to what made him so upset to the point where he was attacking me. "Hey, Cross? We can talk this out. Just set down your weapon, okay?" I suggested, wanting him to calm down. I was holding my left arm, it actually really hurting. But It felt different. It felt more mental? I dismissed it as I waited for Cross' response.

That didn't seem to have any effect on him, as he continued trying to hurt me.

I felt hurt, in a way. I didn't understand why though. I had been hurt physically for years! So why did this feel so much worse?

As I continued to dodge, Cross managed to get a few hits in as I got tired. We had been doing this for about half an hour, which was much too long for me to handle. "C-Cross.. p-please, stop..." I managed to stutter out, feeling quite tired. All I wanted to do right now was take a nice, long, refreshing nap. But from how thing were going right now, I doubted I would be able to.

Cross didn't respond and continued to attack.

After a bit longer I collapsed, feeling too tired to stand up. Cross noticed this, and grinned, starting to laugh with an echo. 'Wait, an echo? But we're outside..' I thought to myself, unsure why I thought I heard an echo. 'I could just be exhausted and hearing things. Yeah, probably.'

But as Cross continued to laugh, I heard a second laughter just like his coming closer. And that's when I saw a shadow that looked suspiciously like a familiar octopus emerge from the shadows. When I looked back to Cross, I saw the flash of teal in his eye, and I immediately realized what was happening. "C-Cross, please snap out of it!" I exclaimed, trying to get through to Cross now.

"That little traitor won't hear you, dumbass. He's going to do what he was hired to do — which is to kill you and take your soul." Nightmare stated, fully emerging himself from the shadows, standing behind Cross. "Do it." Nightmare ordered, signaling for him to kill me now.

Cross stepped forward and raised his large knife over my chest, about to stab me and take my soul with no hesitation.

Cross' POV: