Chapter 18

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

Harry and Katherine entered Dolores Umbridge's office. Her office was the most hideous thing Katherine had ever seen. The room was painted pink and was covered with kitten pictures. On the woman's desk was a picture of Cornelius Fudge. Harry and Katherine shared a disgusted look.

"Good evening, Mr. Potter and Miss. Ollivander."

"Good evening," The pair responded stiffly.

"Well, sit down."

Umbridge gestured to the two chairs that sat in front of her desk, which had two pieces of parchment set. Harry started to ask the professor about attending Quidditch tryouts, but Umbridge denied his requests. Harry sighed and sat in the chair with Katherine following. They pulled out their quills but were stopped by Umbridge.

"No, not with your quill. I will be providing you with the materials you need," Umbridge smiled.

The professor opened one of her desk drawers, pulling out two quills. The quills were long and black with sharp tips. Katherine's eyes widened when she saw them. She recognized these quills. Umbridge smirked at Katherine's reaction.

"Mr. Potter, I want you to write, 'I must not tell lies,'" Umbridge sweetly said. "Miss. Ollivander, I want you to write, 'I must not call names.'"

"How many times?" Harry asked.

"Oh, as long as it takes for the message to sink in," Umbridge sweetly said. Harry asked her about ink, but Umbridge waved his worries away.

Katherine hesitantly started to write on the parchment. It took a few seconds till Katherine began to feel the prickly sensation blood quills give. Katherine looked at Harry, whose face showed his confusion and pain. As Katherine wrote, she felt the pain increase and bit her lip to stop the cries from leaving her mouth.

"You know Miss. Ollivander, I was shocked by your actions today. I expected much more from a Hufflepuff," Umbridge smirked.

"What had me being a Hufflepuff have to do with anything?" Katherine breathed through the pain.

"Well, aren't Hufflepuffs supposed to be nice and respectful?"

"Professor, I am only nice to people who deserve it. As for my respect, you will have to earn that," Umbridge flared her nostrils as her smirk disappeared.

"I will not tolerate that back sass! You'll stay in here for an extra hour!"

"You asked me a question, and I answered! How did you expect me to answer?"

"That's another hour! I advise you to stop talking!"

Katherine clenched her jaw and looked at Harry. He gave her a look, telling her to stop. Katherine sighed and went back to writing. She had written twenty lines by now, which made the writing on her hand noticeable. Silently, tears rolled down Katherine's face. Katherine glared at the toad as she sipped her tea. Umbridge had her eyes on Harry and was enjoying seeing him in pain.

After two hours passed, Umbridge asked to see Harry's hand. The professor smirked and nodded, letting Harry leave. Harry looked back at Katherine with a small smile and walked out. Katherine was dreading being alone with Umbridge. Now the professor's attention was on her. The Hufflepuff looked at her hand and saw the redness that surrounded the words. Each line she wrote increased the visibility of the phrase. The extra hours passed by slowly, but she was finally done.

"Hand," Umbridge gestured to Katherine's scarred hand. Katherine gave her hand to her professor. "Hm. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Wait! Prof-"

"No back talking. You don't want extra hours, do you?" Umbridge smiled as Katherine shook her head. "Very well, now get back to your common room."

Katherine put on a front and strutted out of Umbridge's office. As soon as she closed the door, Katherine let out the tears built up since the first line fall out. She sprinted through the corridors and entered her common room. Katherine looked around and saw nobody present. Sighing a breath of relief, Katherine sat on the couch and looked at her hand. It was horrible. Unlike Harry's, her hand was bruising and turning black and blue. The stinging of the cut was unbearable.

"Are you okay?" A boy asked. Katherine panicked until she saw who it was.

"Oh, hi Rolf. I'm fine; it's just a cut," She lied. Rolf tilted his head and sat next to her. His eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw Katherine's hand. She laughed at his reaction but quickly stopped when she felt the pain in her hand.

"This is horrible! Who did this to you?" Rolf questioned. He held Katherine's hand, but that only made the pain worse.

"I had detention with Umbridge," Katherine answered. As Rolf examined her hand, Katherine smiled. Rolf Scamander was one of the kindest boys in school, to both people and animals.

"We should get you to Madam Pomfrey. Maybe she can wrap it," Rolf smiled and sat up.

"Before we go, I want you to promise me something," Katherine started. Rolf looked at her; he was skeptical about what she was going to say but nodded in agreement anyway. "Don't tell anyone about this. I don't want to worry people."

Rolf followed her out of the common room. When they arrived in the infirmary, Madam Pomfrey assigned her a bed to lay on. As Pomfrey wrapped her hand, Rolf studied Katherine's mannerisms. He wondered why someone would do something like this to such a nice girl. Katherine was one of the best people he knew. Kind to every house, except the Slytherins, and year.

He wanted to tell someone about what the cruel professor did to her, like the twins, Ron, or Harry. The only thing stopping him was the worry of breaking her trust. Rolf knew when the time was right; he would convince her. The problem was how.

<><><>

Harry and Katherine were the first people to sit at the Gryffindor table. They both glanced at Professor Toad and glared at her. Not wanting to get into more trouble, they looked away after a while. Harry looked at Katherine, but she didn't return the eye contact. Katherine was too busy stuffing her face. Harry got irritated by the awkward silence and finally spoke up.

"How's your hand?" He asked, looking at the white bandage. Before entering the dining hall, Katherine had gone to the infirmary to get her hand rewrapped.

"It's fine," Katherine made sure to avoid eye contact with him.

"Seriously, Katherine? I was only in there for two hours, and my hand hurts like a bitch—"

"Watch your language!" Katherine barked.

"Sorry, but back to what I was saying," Harry rolled his eyes. "I know your hand is torn 'cause mine hurts a lot. I mean, you were in there for four hours!"

"Have you told anyone?" Katherine asked

"What?" Harry was weirded out. Out of all the questions, she could ask, she chose that one.

"Have you told anyone?" Katherine repeated.

"No," Harry answered.

"Good," She let out a sigh of relief. "You have another detention today?"

"Yea, for about a week. What about you?" Harry glanced at Umbridge, who was watching them with such intensity it made him shiver

"I have it today, but I don't know about the whole week," Katherine replied.