Chapter 64

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

The House elf appeared in front of Katherine and bowed his head. Harry looked in the cupboard and found a lot of stuff, but no locket.

    "Katherine," Kreacher croaked. Then he looked at Ron, Harry, and Hermione. "Back in my Mistress' old house with the blood-traitor Weasley and the Mudblood—"

    "Kreacher, I forbid you to call anyone 'blood traitor' or 'Mudblood,'" Katherine said sternly.

    "I've got a question for you," Harry said, "and I order you to answer it truthfully. Understand?"

    Kreacher looked at Katherine, waiting for approval to answer his question. She tilted her head and smiled.

    "Remember what I said, Kreacher," Katherine said.

    "Yes," Kreacher said, bowing low.

    "Two years ago," Harry began, "there was a big gold locket in the drawing-room upstairs. We threw it out. Did you steal it back?"

    Kreacher looked at Harry in the face. "Yes."

    "Where is it now?" Harry asked with a smile.

    Kreacher closed his eyes and hung his head. He couldn't bear to see Katherine upset with him after he told her what happened.

    "Gone."

    "Gone?" Harry asked as the smile disappeared. "What do you mean gone?"

    The elf shivered and kept his eyes closed.

    "Kreacher," Harry fiercely said. "I order you—"

    "Harry! Be nice!" Katherine demanded. She looked at Kreacher and lifted his head. "Kreacher, please tell us what happened."

    "Mundungus Fletcher," Kreacher croaked, his eyes still shut. "Mundungus Fletcher stole it all: Miss Bella's and Miss Cissy's pictures, my Mistress' gloves, the Order of Merlin, First Class, the goblets with the family crest, and—and—"

    Kreacher struggled to breathe as he went on with the story. His eyes opened, and he let out a bloodcurdling scream. Katherine tried to stop him, but it was no use. Kreacher kept screaming.

    "— and the locket, Master Regulus' locket, Kreacher did wrong, Kreacher failed in his orders!"

    Kreacher lunged for the poker standing in the grate, but Harry stopped the elf. Katherine watched in horror as Kreacher wriggled under Harry. Hermione began to scream with Kreacher, but Harry yelled over them. "Kreacher, I order you to stay still!"

    The elf froze, and Harry released him. Kreacher laid on the floor with tears running down his face.

    "Harry, let him up," Hermione whispered.