Chapter 57

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

A few days had passed since George came to the hospital. Katherine and Fred never left his side unless they had to use the restroom. Molly and Arthur had urged the two to go home and freshen up, but Katherine and Fred refused. They wanted to be the first people George saw when he woke up. Molly, Arthur, Bill, and Fleur came every day to visit him, but they never stayed the night.

    On the bright side, George looked better physically. The Healers cleaned up the blood and wrapped his head. The bruises on his face were turning yellow which was a good sign. It meant that they were going away. The cuts were healing, and everything else was perfect. The only thing left was for George to wake up. The Healers said it was expected, but Katherine couldn't help but worry.

    "Kari," Fred gently shook Katherine so she could wake up.

    "Hmmm," Katherine mumbled and slowly opened her eyes.

    "Let's go get some food," he said, taking her hand to help her up.

    Katherine shook her head. "No. I need to stay with George."

    "Stop, Kari," Fred said in a stern voice.

    Katherine looked up with wide eyes. "Woah. You sounded like Dad."

    "No, I didn't!" Fred took a step back with a serious face. "I am still the childish jokester I've always been."

    "You kinda do, Freddie," a hoarse voice said. Katherine turned her head and saw George with his eyes open and a smile on his face. She grabbed his hand and smiled.

    "How are you feeling?" she asked.

    "I have a huge headache, but other than that, I'm doing just fine," George smiled.

    "You had us scared for days, Georgie," Fred chuckled.

    "Well, it's good to know you still care," he joked.

    "I'm gonna get the Healer," Fred said as he walked out of the room.

    Katherine stared at George's smiling face. She never realized how much she missed his smile until now. Katherine scooted closer and laid her head on his chest. George looked down and smoothed her knotty hair. Katherine sighed and propped her head up to gaze at George. His hand moved to cup her jaw, and she rubbed against it.

    "I swear I'll get Bellatrix back," Katherine broke the silence. "She'll pay for what she did."

    "No, you won't," George said. "I don't need you getting hurt on my behalf."

    "George, she tried to kill you!" Katherine started to raise her voice and lifted herself off of him.

    "I'm only one person," George tried to reason. "There's no reason to get yourself killed because of one person!"