Chapter 2: Stranger

Ava's POV

"The last person I expected to be here was the daughter of my father's enemy. Or have you forgotten that we're rivals." he let out a smirk.

I didn't know what to say. I stared at him, like an idiot.

He was attractive. Like despicably attractive. Not a single flaw on his face.

I was pretty sure this guy could be a model. I wondered how insecure guys would feel being in the same room with him. He was handsome, but somehow had a cold appearance to him.

Hold on.

I mentally slapped my forehead.

The father of the guy I was lusting over is my father's enemy, which automatically makes him my enemy as well. His father has humiliated my family multiple times, and I cannot let this gorgeous hunk of a man distract me from that simple fact.

I couldn't let him report to his father that Arden was here for a job work at their mafia. I had denied my father's mafia. I had to make something up.

"Well?" he said impatiently. Trying to sound confident, which I for sure wasn't at this point, I managed to say, "I- I don't know what you're talking about."

What is wrong with me? I just lied to this guy. He could figure out who I was within seconds. Hell, he was probably trained to recognize this bullshit from the second he was born. He narrowed his eyebrows at me and a huge grin spread his face.

"Well then Miss not who I'm talking about. Why don't you follow me into the meeting room so I can interview you?" No, Ava! Come up with something. You can't follow this man into a room, if only because you'd end up tearing his clothes off.

I shake my head trying to clear my thoughts and say, "No thanks. I just remembered I have somewhere else to be. I'll be sure to make another appointment."

I turned around to walk away when he grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him. My lips were close to his. Way too close.

A strange wave of heat started to rise in my stomach, and I felt my breathing getting more intense. I didn't have to check to know my cheeks had turned bright pink. I stared into his eyes and didn't think to pull back away from him. Didn't think at all.

An involuntary shiver went through my body as he put his arm around my waist and started to bring his lips closer and closer to mine. I didn't know what I was supposed to do.

Was he playing with me or did he believe my lie? I pushed the thoughts out of my mind, focusing instead on the incoming set of lips.

The only thing I could think about were those lips. Our lips, as they got closer and closer. Just before our lips collided though, I was brought back to reality and quickly backed away.

"S- Sorry," I muttered. He looked at me and burst into laughter.

"Ahh. You are just like your father. An idiot. Get out before I tell my father about our encounter."

I looked at him in disbelief and almost slapped him, but his warning resounded in me. I turned around and dashed outside without looking back.

What a rude asshole. If it weren't for the stupid rules my father and his father had come up with, I would have shown him what it means to be an Arden.

I wish I could smack that smirk away from his face, but the view of his pink and red lips kept replaying in my head. God, what is wrong with me? What was this feeling? Sadness? Relief? But I knew a part of me was upset.

I need to forget what happened today. Most importantly I need to find an excuse for why I didn't get this job. My sister and father would surely make a big deal out of it. Especially my father.

Right on cue, my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID. Father. "Just great," I muttered.

Gathering all the courage I had left, I answered. "AVA! Get home right now!" He yelled, and just like that he hanged up.

"I need coffee," I muttered to myself while shaking my head.