Chapter 39: Closer

Ace's POV

Flashback

"Ace!! I have a question!" Ava suddenly yells.

I let out a laugh.

"Amore, you're drunk," I say back.

"Okay and? I still have a question and you're going to answer it." she orders, which makes me smile.

That's my girl.

"Ask away," I say.

"You know how you always say things like 'oh you're mine and 'oh you belong to me," she says trying to mimic my voice.

I let out a laugh and cover my mouth.

"Don't cover your laugh. It's adorable." Ava says removing my hand away from my mouth.

"Amore, I say those things because it's true," I say which makes her frown.

"Well, if I'm yours then-then are you mine too?" she whispers which makes my heart melt.

"Amore, I've always been yours. That's not even a question."

It's the truest thing I've ever said in my life.

Her face turns red and she immediately turns around to run away but I quickly grab her arm and pull her towards me.

She covers her face and starts to giggle. It's like music to my ears.

"I love you amore" I whisper.

"I love you too," she says back.

Flashback Over

Ava's POV

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask Ace as soon as we enter our room.

He stays quiet and walks over to the bathroom.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask once again but he continues to ignore me.

Frustrated I walk over to the bathroom and push him against the wall so he can't escape.

"Just answer the damn question. Why the hell did you wait this long to tell me?" I yell.

"To protect you! Everything I've ever done is to protect you!" he suddenly yells back catching me off guard.

I take a step back and close my eyes.

"You should off told me," I whisper.

"I looked for you. I didn't believe what they said. I looked for months before Davina told me to give up. She said you were gone and that you weren't coming back. That I had to move on" he says his voice cracking.

I open my eyes and look at him. He's looking at me and his eyes are filled with tears and I want nothing more than to walk up to him and comfort him. To tell him that I forgive him and that I love him, but it's not that easy.

Our children are missing and it's because of us.

"Our children are missing because we couldn't communicate with each other. Instead of trying to solve our problems we only did things that hurt us even more." I say back.

"It's all my fault. I'm sorry amore. I'm so fucking sorry. I thought it was the only way to save you. I was trying to save you." he quietly says and my heart breaks.