Chapter 30: Once again

Ava's POV

God! He is so infuriating. Just like always.

He thinks he can just waltz back into my life, claim that he fucked my life up for a reason, and then expect me to sleep in the same bed as him.

He's wrong.

"Ava" I hear from behind me.

I turn around to see Lucas running up to me out of breath. He has a cut on his face and is wearing a cast around his wrist..because of me.

He stops once we are standing face to face.

I don't know what to say. It's been so long.

"Hey," he says. I can tell he has no idea what to say either.

"Hi..are you okay? I'm sorry about Ronan. He was just making sure I was okay." I say looking down.

He nods. "Yeah don't worry about it. I'm okay. Nothing I can't handle" he says with a chuckle.

"So, you and Davina? What happened" I ask.

He opens his mouth before closing it and sighing.

Dammit, I forgot. I don't have the right to ask him that anymore. I'm the enemy.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to ask. I don't have any right to"

"No, no. Ava, of course, you do. You're like my sister. Nothing has changed." he cuts me off.

I slowly nod not knowing what to say.

"I don't know how to tell you this. I-I know you'll hate me for this, but I have to. It's been haunting me for the past 6 years and Davina hates me for it as well." he says.

What is he talking about?

"The day I came to the hospital, remember when I got a call?"

I nod my head for him to continue.

"It was Ace and it wasn't good news. I can't tell you what it was, it's not my story to tell but just know that whatever Ace did wasn't because he wanted to. That day I knew what was going to happen. I knew that you were going to go home to him and be in a horrible situation." he sighs looking down.

What is he talking about?

"I was in on it too. I wasn't proud but I had to. Your life depended on it but we never expected you to fake your death and run away. When I thought you were dead, the guilt consumed me. I couldn't keep it in anymore so I told Davina everything"

"She stayed loyal and didn't tell me anything but she was mad. She cut off all ties with me and broke up with me but everything changed. 2 weeks later I found out Davina was pregnant. She was still mad and wanted to take Liliana away once she was born. I tried to be there for her as much as I could during the next 9 months but she wouldn't allow it."

He slowly releases a shaky breath and I can see tears forming in his eyes.

"It was 3 am when her water broke and we wanted to take her to the hospital but it was too dangerous. We had just been under an attack 2 weeks ago and we just couldn't risk it. Our family doctor came in and I was there for her. For the first time, I was there for her. I held on to her hand and she let me. I can't express how I felt when I saw Liliana for the first time."

A tear slips down his cheeks but he quickly wipes it off.

"At that moment I felt full. With my daughter and Davina by my side, everything felt okay. It was the first time that I wasn't filled with guilt. Davina was tired-god she was so tired but she was smiling and crying at the same time. Everything was okay for the next few months until-" his voice cracks.