TWENTY-EIGHT

•TWENTY-EIGHT•
Amara

"Why is Professor James so late?" My heart clenches as people begin to mutter about Matthew's whereabouts.

"You okay?" Bo whispers next to me and I give her a quick nod, too scared to open my mouth.

"I'll let you go, baby. If that's what you really want."

"I can't." I whimper, shaking my head. "I don't want you to." Matthew's face softens and he reaches forward to stroke my cheek.

"Of course you don't want me to, baby but you need me to." He's right.

I don't want to do this but it needs to happen.

For both our sakes.

"I'll wait for you." I clench my eyes shut.

"This isn't fair." I cry and he wraps his arms tightly around me. I bury my face into his chest and just cry.

"I know it's not baby but I don't want your future to be ruined because of me. I love you." He smiles gently and I reach up to wipe the tears that fall down his cheeks. "So much."

This is really feeling like a goodbye.

He coughs and then pulls away from me. I can't ignore the way my heart clenched as he distanced himself from me. "You should probably get home. It's getting late." My eyes fall to the ground.

I have to keep reminding myself this is for the best.

It has to be.

"Bye, Matthew." I whisper but he avoids eye contact with me.

"Goodbye, Amara." I turn on my heel and rush out of his home, holding back the tears that threaten to fall. I climb into my car and then sit in silence.

I can't help but feel selfish.

I rub my eyes and sniffle.

This was not how I was expecting my day to end.

"Good morning, everyone." I jump when Matthew walks into the hall.

I look around the lecture hall until my eyes fall on a smirking Zion. He winks and I nearly throw up in my mouth.

How can he casually go on about his day after what he did to me yesterday?

I watch as his eyes travel across the room until they land on Marie, who for a change is clad in joggers and has a face free of makeup.

I frown.

That really is nothing like her and the fact that her little minions are nowhere to be seen as well makes it even weirder.

"You'll just be continuing your research on the recent book we are reading. If you need any help feel free to ask." Matthew avoids looking up at us and goes straight to typing on the computer.

The sound of everyone rustling around for their books and laptops fills the room and I do the same, however, as I begin my research nothing goes in.

I can't think straight.

I observe Matthew. He looks beautiful as always in his grey three piece suit. His hair is a little disheveled but that doesn't hinder his beauty.

I inhale a sharp breath when his eyes looks straight up at me. His jaw clenches before he looks back down.

"I wanna kill him." Bo mutters and I turn to face her to see she's glaring at the back of Zion's head. "Let's throw him into a storage cupboard and beat him up." I can't help but laugh at her comment.

"I wish." I whisper.

"I just don't think you should let him get in between you and you know who. Fuck him and his empty threats." She scoffs and I sigh.

"We don't know if his threats are empty, Bo. I don't think it's worth the risk." I say.

I look back over at my Matthew to see him lost in his thoughts. He stares blankly at his computer screen and then slowly closes his eyes.

He's hurting.

And so am I.
•••

"You dumped your boyfriend?" Zion takes a seat next to me under a tree and I roll my eyes.

"Zion, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't have a fucking boyfriend." I grit my teeth. "Now get away from me, you fucking predator." His eyes widen and then he smirks.

"Don't act like you didn't enjoy me touching you yesterday." I feel sick. "Now this says very different." He drops a photo in my lap and my blood goes cold when I see it's a photo of Matthew and I when we went on a date out of town.

"How the fuck?" I whisper in shock and look at Zion in disgust. "You've been following me?" I stand up and step away from the crazed boy.

"You interest me." I shake my head in disbelief.

"You're crazy!"

"Now, now, Amara. You don't want me showing this and all the other pictures to my uncle." He smirks and I worry for what other types of pictures he has of Matthew and I. "Better be nice to me." He winks and then walks away.

•••

I bang on Matthew's front door in panic. It pouring down with rain and it's almost seven in the evening.

I can't think straight knowing that Zion has pictures.

The door flies open to reveal Nathaniel.

"Amara, you okay?" He questions, worry laced in his voice and I shake my head frantically.

"Where's Matthew?" I start looking around for him and end up bumping into his chest.

"Baby?" He whispers and I instantly wrap my arms around him. "What's happened?" Matthew's arms wrap around my waist and I cry.

"Zion has pictures, Matthew." I sob and feel his whole body tense. "He's been following me this whole time!" Matthew pulls back and gently grabs hold of my face.

"Did he hurt you again?" He whispers and I shake my head. Matthew releases a sigh of relief and nods his head.

"He hurt you?" Nathaniel speaks up from behind us and I nod my head. "What's his address?"

"He lives on campus. What are you doing, Nathaniel?" I furrow my eyebrows, confused as to how he could possibly help us.

"Paying him a visit." I watch with wide eyes as he goes to retrieve his coat.

"His uncle is the Dean!"

"Then I'll visit him too." And then he's slamming the front door.

"Matthew, are you not going to try and stop him?!" I exclaim but all he does is stare at me for a little while before pulling me into a tight hug again.

"God, I can't do this. I can't live without you, call me selfish, I really don't care but I can't." He whispers breathlessly and I sigh.

"We couldn't even last a day." I laugh lightly and his body vibrates as he releases a low chuckle.

"We will sort this out, Mara. I promise you." I smile up at him and he returns the gesture. "I'm not letting you go, no matter what happens, baby."

Good.

A/N
Your emotions be like 📉📈📉📉📈📈💜