THIRTY-SIX

•THIRTY-SIX•
Amara

2 months later

I lightly trace the scar that runs along Matthew's cheek. I smile as his nose twitches.

"Matthew." I whisper and he groans, wrapping his arms tighter around me and burying his face in my neck.

"Sleep, Mara." He rasps and I run my hands through his soft brown hair.

"But you said we'd go on a Gondola today." I whine.

"In the evening baby, not at the crack of dawn." I pout my lips when he falls back to sleep.

"It's nearly the afternoon." I mumble.

Matthew and I are in Venice. We both wanted to go travelling together. He actually has just recently quit his job as a professor, I told him not to, but he said he wanted to enjoy life and spend all his time with me.

I can't complain.

It was only a couple days ago that we were in the Costa Del Sol with each other.

All he's been doing the past two months is spoiling me.

I climb out of bed and quickly brush my teeth. I then throw on my silk robe before opening the balcony door and take a seat outside. I admire the view of Venice from our hotel room.

After twenty minutes the sound of shuffling and footsteps enters my ears. I turn my head and smile at Matthew who is only in his boxers.

I bite my lip and he shakes his head, a small smile on his face.

"Don't even think about it, baby." He gently pulls me up from my seat and decides to sit down on it, pulling me down on to his lap. "I love you."

"Mmm." I hum, resting my head against his shoulder.

"Where are we going next?" He questions and I shrug my shoulders.

"Wherever you want." I smile and he kisses my cheek.

"You're my everything, you know that right?" He whispers against my neck and my stomach erupts in butterflies at his words, even though he tells me every single day. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Live." I joke and he playfully pinches my hip. "I love you too."

He grins.

"Good." I playfully roll my eyes. "What do you want to do today before we go out this evening?"

I smirk and he throws me a playful glare.

"Baby, we've been going at it like rabbits." He chuckles.

"And? It's good for you." I grin.

"Get ready, I'll take you out for lunch." I nod my head and hop of his lap.

"You're spoiling me too much!" I call out as I walk into the bathroom and turn the shower on.

"Really? I don't think I'm spoiling you enough." He also walks into the bathroom and strips down.

Looks like we're showering together.

"Matthew, you haven't let me pay for anything since we've been travelling." I raise my eyebrows and he shrugs his shoulders and helps me undress.

"And?"

"At least let me pay for lunch." I try and convince him but he shakes his head and turns the shower on.

I watch as he grabs my loofa and puts soap on it before beginning to wash my body.

"You're really stubborn." I pout.

"No, I just like to spend my money on you." He smirks, running the loofa further down my body.

"On the outside, Matthew, people would think you're my sugar daddy." I laugh and he begins to laugh with me.

"You want me to be you sugar daddy?" He teases and I playfully roll my eyes.

"No, I want you to be my boyfriend." I begin to clean his body as he stares down at me in amusement.

"What about your husband?" I freeze my movement and look up at him with wide eyes.

"Matthew-"

"We better hurry up and get ready for lunch." He rushes out and quickly finishes washing himself.

I stare at him in shock as he acts like he didn't just say what he did.

He soon rushes out of the bathroom, leaving me alone and confused in the shower.

•••

"Matthew, you've been on edge since we left for lunch. Why do you look so nervous?" I whisper, reaching up to stroke his cheek.

It's the evening now and we are waiting to get on the Gondola.

"I'm not nervous." He tells me, completely avoiding eye contact.

"Yes you are." He gulps.

We soon climb aboard the Gondola and I can't help but swoon at how romantic it feels. I rest my head on Matthew's shoulder as we sit next to each other.

"I love you so much." I say and he tightens his arm around my waist and kisses the top of my head.

"I need to ask you something." I furrow my eyebrows at his words.

"If you're dumping, I have to kindly reject." I nervously laugh and he chuckles, shaking his head.

"I'm not dumping you, Mara. Stop being so dramatic." He whispers and pinches my cheek.

"Then what is it? Because now you're putting me on edge."

"You know I'm incredibly grateful that we bumped into each other that day we first met. It was the first time that someone had looked at me like I was normal and not some freak with a massive scar on his face." My eyes start to water at his words. "We've had our ups and downs, Mara, but I couldn't imagine life with anyone that's not you."

"Matthew." I whisper, cradling his face in my hands.

"It would make me the happiest man alive if you married me." My mouth falls open. "I-I've already spoke about it with your parents but of course it's up to you completely. You really don't—"

"Yes!" I silence him with a kiss.

Even the Gondolier congratulates us, a huge smile on his face.

I watch with curious eyes as Matthew pulls a small black box out of his pocket and reveals a very expensive looking ring.

He slides it onto my finger with a huge smile on his face.

"I won't even ask how much this cost." I say and Matthew runs his hand through his hair.

"Exactly, just let me keep spoiling you."