Chapter 40 - I trust you

"Lightning Storm!"

The twins' 5-Star spell consolidated successfully. The sky formed compact, dark, lumpy clouds where thunders flashed and roared between them, producing calamitous sounds.

A heavy wind thrashed against the trees as their branches bent towards one direction. The sound of the wind and rustling leaves were persistent.

In the midst of this man-made calamity, a burst of vengeful laughter could be heard.

Ryu looked at the origin and found two pairs of eyes glaring at him with contempt. Their mouths spoke at the same time. "You may be a genius mage, but even you can't stop this while shielding someone."

The twins raised their staves together, using them as the catalyst to control the spell. Rotated three times before they pointed it at Ryu.

The clouds started to accumulate a much denser light.

"Ryu?" Yume said in a gloomy voice.

"Yume? What are you doing outside? It's dangerous!"

Her pale face somewhat recovered. The color of her skin returned to normal. Her panting also calmed down. Though she still leaned on the wall to support and reserve her strength.

"I just wanted to watch. That's all. Am I bothering you?"

'How can you be a bother?' Ryu said inwardly.

Instead of cowering at the very end of the cave while worrying that something terrible might happen, Ryu found Yume showing unshakable heartwarming trust. Who would get mad at someone that gave complete faith in him?

"No," Ryu replied.

"Then."

"Yes, you can sit there and watch."

Yume gently smiled and slowly sat on the dirty ground. A typical noble would nitpick about this situation. But she just calmly stayed there and watched. Her eyes were filled with excitement.

'Alright, let's do this. As yparchei aspida!'

Bzzzzzzzt! Boom!

Coming from the sky, one lightning struck the magic shield Ryu made, breaking it instantly. He successfully defended but used one-tenth of his mana in the process. Measuring his remaining magic power, he still has enough to fend for three to four attacks.

"We can see that you are becoming weak, little bug!"

"That's just one from a myriad of lightning to come. There will be plenty more where it came from!"

What the twins were saying was true. Considering that Ryu's mana will be depleted after the fifth lightning strike, put him in a bit of a mess.

Pondering about it, Ryu thought a spell at this level should have limitations. "A wide magic like that wouldn't be easy to control."

The corner of the older brother's mouth curved upward as he quickly raised his staff and pointed at Ryu. "Really? Then how about this!"

Bzzzzzzt! Boom!

Another lightning struck. But this time, Ryu slid three meters backward after being hit. The swords he used as an additional shield dispensed electric currents that conducted through the blades, creating a buzzing sound that generated a visible plasma that lingered for a few seconds.

Bzzz... Bzzz... Bzzzt...

"That's two strikes, and you can't defend anymore. Hahaha!"

The twins celebrated. Seeing how Ryu was struggling. Waiving the mage staff around and dancing like kids. Even the leader of the assassins covered his mouth in an attempt not to laugh.