new beginnings

Onika T. Maraj
6:30 am
Time Square, Manhattan, New York

"Mama said you better get your ass up out the bed before she come in there and do it for you" my little sister ming repeated from behind my room door

"Ming get away from my door, I heard you the first ten times" I replied rolling my eyes.

No matter how badly I wanted to roll back around and go back to sleep, I knew that when carol said for something to be done — she meant for it to be done right then and there.

I heard Ming's little footsteps run away from the door and down the steps. Sighing to myself I grabbed my phone from the charger and traveled into the bathroom.

☀︎︎

"Yeah Lo, I'm down the street. Come outside now. You know I won't hesitate to leave your slow ass" I told her, hanging up the phone.

I pulled up to her house putting the car in park, watching her come down her front steps towards my car.

"Bitch you better be lucky i know how you get in the mornings, if you were anybody else I would've lit ya ass up" lauren said buckling in her seat belt.

"Okay lo, how's your morning going so far?" I asked turning up the radio softly as I listened to her telling me about her morning.

Three red traffic lights and a stop at Starbucks later, I pulled into the school parking lot. Quickly putting the car into park and taking the keys out of the ignition, I turned around grabbing my backpack and coffee. I rushed inside the school.

"Damn your little legs just moving" Lo called out at the sight of me running inside of the school.

"Lauren you not funny hoe, have a good day. Love you" I rushed out placing a kiss on her cheek.

"I love you too boo, see you at lunch" She rushed out, returning the favor on my cheek before running off to the third floor.

I looked down at my phone seeing that I was ten minutes late.

Fuck

Swallowing the lump of nerves stuck in my throat, I opened the door to the classroom and immediately all eyes shot to me.

"Damn can I have my face back?" I mumbled to myself walking to the empty seat in the front of the room.

"What was that?" The tall brown brown skinned woman asked standing in front of me.

"I said.. damn can i have my face back?" I repeated. This time with more attitude laced through my voice.

Humming to herself she shifted from one foot to the other.

"You must be Onika, nice of you to join us. Thank you for the coffee" She quickly let out grabbing the coffee out of my hand before taking a sip from it.

Did this bitch really steal my coffee?

I opened my mouth to respond but quickly shut my mouth due to the look she gave me, sending chills down my spine.

A frown growing on my face, I walked to the empty seat that sat awfully close to her desk. It was the only one left open.

"No words huh?" The lady asked, gazing over the classroom then meeting my burning glare.

"If you'd give me a chance to respond then maybe I could explain myself." I shot back, a few giggles from the back to follow.

Simply nodding, she walked away. Taking a few steps to her desk.

☀︎︎

Beyonce G. Knowles
Time Square, Manhattan, New York
8:27 am

"Now that we've gone over the syllabus, allow me to tell you a little about myself.

"Well first things first, My name is Beyoncé Knowles but to you all, Ms.K or Ms.Knowles. As some of you know, this school has been in my family for over 25 years. Your principal, my sister hold a assembly since this is your last first day of high school." I informed everyone then opened the floor for any questions.

"How old are you?" A girl named jhené asked softly.

"I'm 22 years old" I replied and most students gasped at the knowledge of my age.

"Where is your accent from?" Another student asked and I smiled at the question.

"H townnn" I replied throwing my fingers in the air with the h-town sign showing. "I used to stay with my nana while my parents were starting up this school so by the time I was five I was able to move down here. I guess the accent stuck with me"

Silence filled the room until someone else in the back spoke up.

"Is your body natural?" The voice asked and i straight faced whoever asked the question.

"Yes, not that it's any of you all's business" i said, as my eyes trailed over to onika who sat there with her eyebrows raised as if she was surprised.

"Okay that's enough questions for today, my goal here this year isn't to make your senior year hard at all. I give respect where respect is earned and everything that goes on in this classroom stays in this classroom. If you can follow that rule then we'll be the best of friends" I said sitting down in my seat as the bell rung out through the room.

"Have a great rest of your day" I said as they all rushed out the room.

This is gonna be one hell of a year.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.