watch me

Onika T. Maraj
Times Square, Manhattan, New York

Today was the day I got my keys from my landlord

To say I was excited was a complete understatement. Life had been really good for the past couple of weeks.

I knew that it only meant one thing, that this was just the calm before the storm. It was six o'clock in the damn morning. Too early to hear the yelling coming from outside my soon to be old home.

"Lower your fuckin' voice wayne, the birds ain't even up yet and here your loud ass go" I scolded him, hitting him upside the head.

Him and a couple of his friends were helping me make the move since I had so much stuff.

I instantly gained a headache at the thought of all the stuff I had to do today. I still had to make a run to target and the grocery store. Then had to worry about the furniture that I hadn't even ordered yet.

I was as unorganized as they came. My mom kind of threw me off with now allowing me to take the furniture from in my room.

It was a opportunity to start completely over but the timing was really wrong. I was fine with sleeping on a air mattress until my stuff could be delivered I just wasn't too ecstatic about it.

I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket, I knew who it was just by the vibrations of the phone.

"Hey baby daddy" I grinned, knowing she hated when I called her that shit.

"Tanya, don't start your shit." She quickly shut my madness down.

"Whatever, are you on the way?"

"No I'm a little busy, I'll talk to you later. bye" 

My head jerked back so hard...

Instant attitude.

In the duration of two hours we got all the stuff in the truck. More so the boys since wayne refused to allow me to lift much of anything.

"Come here ming!" I hollered through the house.

"Here I come nika" she replied as she ran into the living room.

"You about to leave me alone with meanie mommy?" She asked with her lips poked out.

"Stop, don't call her that." I told her as I tried my best to stifle back a laugh.

"But she's so mean. Why can't I come with you?" She asked on the verge of tears.

I blinked away my own, I practically raised her all by myself. This was my baby and if I had the world to give her I would without hesitation.

"You can come over my house all the time and we can have sleepovers and stuff together." I told her, sitting her on my left leg running my hands through her long coils.