mixed signals

Beyoncé G. Knowles
Time Square, Manhattan, New York

I sat and watched the class interact with each other, it'd been about nine days since the first day of school and I already loved the relationship we held with each other

Some kids were harder to crack down on but eventually we got in the swing of things.

Of course onika was one of the most stubborn people I have ever encountered but it only made it more fun trying to figure out why she acted the way she did.

I'd grown to have a soft spot for her, certain things I would let her slide on. I knew she was my student but seeing her everyday just did something to me.

I hadn't been able to really figure out what exactly it was but it needed to leave immediately.

It was unprofessional.

"Teyana, how far along are you?" I asked the the leader of the group that had been working the hardest since day one.

"We're done Ms.k" teyana told me and I nodded my head, letting her go back to the conversation she was having before I called her.

"Okay everyone, I expect your articles to be in my email waiting for me to read and grade them by midnight" I told them, noticing it was almost time to go.

"Onika, please come here for a second" I called out as I watched the other teens rush out the room.

"Knowles I'm going to be late" onika complained, rolling her eyes before dragging her feet to the front of my desk.

"Watch your tone when you speak to me. I've told you this once before. Don't make me have to remind you again... What class do you have next?" I asked, watching her straighten up at the authority in my voice.

"I- I have study hall" she stammered out pulling at her ear. Something I noticed she did only when she was nervous.

"Not anymore, I got a email saying that you were troublesome during study hall?" I asked her looking up from the email.

"The bitch should've never tore up my paper, she lucky I didn't jump across the fuckin' desk" she replied rolling her eyes heavily.

"Well now you're my TA for this period so get comfortable Maraj" I told her closing my laptop.

"Tell me about yourself, you're such a mystery onika... Why is that?" I asked placing my head in my hands.

"What do you wanna know?" She asked and i smiled, hoping she'd ask that question.

"Why do you try so hard to act nonchalant?" I asked her, now crossing my arms across my chest.

"I don't try. I just am.. that way if anyone hurts me I simply won't care, things are better off that way if I'm emotionally checked out" onika said and I nodded.