Episode 1 - Holiday

A soaking wet coyote burst from the watery canal that ran between Marshland Avenue and Hill Street, used by some of Zootopia's more aquatic citizens. That particular canal was used mostly by hippos. The medium-sized canid hooked the pull bar at the exit of the canal and hefted himself over a grated metal plate and tumbled sloppily onto the street. Out of breath, he shook himself off to unload some of the weight of water clinging to his fluffy brown-toned form. His dark eyes darted side to side looking for an avenue of escape. He didn't have long.

A rapid thump-thump-thump was heard and he glanced to see the plastic canopy shaking a bit over the canal. Above the waterline, a grey bunny in a custom fit police uniform bounced lightning quick back and forth between both sides of the protective shell that fit over the canal. The covering was there to prevent mammals, especially kits and cubs, from falling in. Officer Judy Hopps wasn't swimming in the canal. She was ricocheting back and forth along the heavy duty plastic. While the canine had a lead in the chase initially, he didn't anymore!

The coyote bolted for a row of newsstands set back from the road conveniently for those mammals using those canals. They certainly didn't want to have a paper or magazine with them when they did. He wedged himself between two of the booths, earning the stunned shock of a wiry otter working the associated two stands.

The bunny officer never touched the water, bouncing right out of the plastic arch-work and confidently onto the sidewalk, panting heavily as she searched for the coyote. She rolled her eyes as she saw the explosion of water darkening the ground in a sun-flare pattern and the unmistakable trail of droplets that retreated between the booths where an irritated otter stared back at her. Judy shouted back to the canal.

"I'm gonna stay on him! Catch up, Nick!" The suddenly turbulent water signaled the presence of her partner. Judy moved in between the booths and looked left and right. She took a moment to listen for him before hearing a deep gasp from the canal. She glanced back as Nick hauled himself rather pitifully out of the water. The bounce back and forth thing was not as effective for his larger mass, so he did a splendid job nearly keeping up with his swimming alone.

The soaking wet fox called out, "I'm here, Fluff, clear to engage!" He pulled himself out with some effort and immediately stepped onto the metal plate at the exit. It clicked. Nick glanced down, eyes wide. "NnnOOoooooooo!" The powerful fan-driven air dryer purposed to rapidly de-saturate a fully clothed hippo switched on at full blast, roaring to life and sending Nick instantly skyward. Judy had already darted in the direction that she saw some water trailing. At Nick's cry, the bunny looked back, but she didn't see him by the canal. Where did he go? She didn't think to look up at first, but Nick called out over the din of the fan, getting her attention. Judy then stood up fully and stared in shock at her partner hovering, limbs splayed out, tail vertical. He was in a horizontal sky-diving position, about thirty feet up.

"Nick?!" she cried.

"He's armed, he's got a broom stick or something at your ten; he's getting away!" called the fox. Judy grinned. It was not flattering for the fox but he had eyes in the sky and that helped. Judy bolted in the direction Nick signaled, and she blocked the exit of the coyote as he headed toward the stairs. They would have taken him off the main plaza and into a shopping area where he'd be able to find easier cover. The frantic canid gripped the stick, ready to swing at the bunny. The suspect that Judy had been chasing was exhausted from swimming the canal and had been running even longer than that, but he snarled and rose up against the smaller officer. This was just a bunny! He likely thought his aggression would be terrifying. He was a larger predator with a weapon, suddenly ready to lunge. The coyote appeared unable to mentally process what happened next.

The bunny didn't look afraid. She looked delighted! It was exactly what she planned for. This was everything she'd practiced with Nick. The coyote recoiled as it seemed the lapine had gone mad. He was too slow to stop the sudden grey furry rocket that launched from her position and planted her shoulder right in his breadbasket. That folded the canine in half and took him off his feet. Judy wrapped her arms around his torso using what remained of their momentum as he fell backwards to then brace herself against his chest. As he landed, she kicked off, a second impact occurring from behind for the coyote as he hit the ground hard. Judy skidded to a stop and turned and pounced. She was on him in a second before the stick even finished clattering on the ground. He whined as he went kind of limp, finding that he was quickly pawcuffed and on his belly with a rabbit standing on his back. It was done so fast that he couldn't completely fully comprehend everything that had happened. He probably didn't have to guess what those powerful legs could do to him if he tried to get up. He stayed still, panting raggedly.