Episode 3 - Impressions

"Mom!" Judy ran up the hill toward her mother who was standing outside of a two, possibly even three story manor-house that rested at the top of the hill. Half the house appeared to be actively in flames. Dark smoke towered over the hill.

"Judy! How did you get here?!" Bonnie cried as Nick came up fast behind her. The heavier fox was a bit behind, but Judy's mom saw him and realized he had brought them. The mother bunny acknowledged, "Oh, Gid! Thank goodness!" Judy looked at the large structure. The back half was completely involved. The front had several tall, narrow windows, and there was a castle-like third floor 'tower' with a single window open. The curtains there were fluttering from the air current inside the house. The second floor had two large windows in the front, both blotted out black with smoke. The front door burst open and two bunnies stumbled out.

"Dad!" Judy rushed to her father's side. The felt the burst of heat radiating from the doorway the lapines had exited from. He was with another male rabbit who was coughing so hard he actually vomited in the grass. Stuart Hopps helped him up a bit so he didn't just fall into it, looking at his daughter in obvious distress.

"There's kids in there, Jude! Five of em'! We can't get to 'em. Fire's on the stairs in the front now and we can't get to the back! Smoke's choked it out, we can't see a thing. It's too dark!" The thin older black and grey bunny put his head to the grass and screamed in frustrated sobbing, probably the father. Judy's heart raced, her paws feeling that familiar pins and needles sensation of heavy adrenalin.

"Where's BBFD?" the doe officer shouted, referring to the local fire department.

Her father shouted back, "We called, but they're about 40 minutes out, so it's gonna be at least another ten to fifteen before they get here!" Stu shouted. No one appeared to care that no introductions had been given. Two more vehicles pulled up, and spectators were starting to gather, some walking up the road from other houses further down. Judy glanced frantically around.

"Rope! We need rope!" She looked to her father. He shook his head, obviously not having any, but the slender, wailing rabbit jumped up, tears still flowing.

"I got it! I got it, I got fiddy feet in d' shed!" He bolted, Stu moving with him to help him. Judy paced a bit, gazing up at the front of the house in agitation.

Nick moved up behind her and whispered in a warning tone, "This is risky, Judy, and we've got no backup for another ten at least."

"They have less of a chance than we do, that's a sure bet," the doe replied to her partner. The fox nodded, understanding. "Nick, I'll need your eyes. We have to try. I can't just... not try." Her partner nodded to that as well. Stu and the other rabbit came back panting, very much out of breath, already winded from the smoke inside from their first attempt. Bonnie hugged her husband tightly and Nick shot a look back to Judy.

"Okay Officer Hopps, what's the plan? I see the wheels spinning." Judy looked to the stunned, somewhat frightened-looking Gideon.

"Hey, Gids. Gideon!" Judy shook his attention away from the 30 foot flames at the back of the house. He stared at the grey-toned little doe.

"Wha? Yeah, Judy?" he responded with his thick accent.

"Gideon, how good's your aim for throwing?" the bunny cop asked. More folks were showing up, but unfortunately, no one with a fire truck.

Nick spoke up frantically, "Judy I know what you are thinking... We used Grizzoli for this, not another fox. He's not got much more mass than I do, Fluff." His voice was highly skeptical.

"We got Gideon, that's all we've got," Judy said bluntly, and then nodded to the gathering rabbits, the dominant population of the burrow area. "Gid's way stronger than he looks, trust me." Nick regarded the heavier fox, thick built, a bit rotund in the middle, but his arms were certainly strong.