Episode 13 - Box

The aging armadillo fumbled with the keys for what felt like far too long as Judy stood with Nick at the padlocked front doors of her apartment building.  Vivienne had taken an earlier train home after she and Nick checked up on injured bunny a few hours before the hospital released her.  The bunny found her shoulder to be very tender and difficult to move, so she would not be doing any heavy lifting for a while if it was possible to avoid it, so Nick came to help her get her belongings. 

There was still a bandage holding the bit of gauze to the back of her head and her arm was in a blue and white sling.  He held skeptically in his paws a single collapsed cardboard box.  He watched as the door was finally unlocked and he thanked the dour and less conversational mammal for meeting them there to let them in.  As they walked up to her apartment, Nick took his time and went slow as his partner’s hip was a little sore too.  Judy considered her morning up to that point.

It had been fairly busy.  Wolford came to take the report about the thief who tried to take Judy’s bag, but said little would likely be done about the theft because he didn’t keep it.  However, assaulting her with the bag was another story.  Judy also made a couple of phone calls concerning her apartment building and found that, in fact, there was a law broken.  The owner of the building had been made aware of the possibility of the building closing and was responsible for a percent of transferal fees, be it hotel or other accommodations while the repairs were being done.  However instead of doing that the right way he defaulted on his loans, declared bankruptcy, and skipped town without even telling the tenants that the place was about to be condemned.  This was something that by law he was supposed to have done within 48 hours of the initial notice he received, 90 days before the building closed.  The police would be looking for him.  Meanwhile Bogo was looking into what could be done to help the other people who were suddenly out on the street and felt confident something could be done.  Not everyone had a fox who would open his door for them.

Judy walked into her tiny apartment and Nick carefully reconstructed the largish box.  He pointed at the bunny’s bed.

“You sit there, I will pack.”  The rabbit crossed her arms.

“Not everything, some stuff’s personal,” she said in protest.

“Alright, you get to pack the top drawer of your little dresser there, and I'll get the rest.” Nick said, crossing his own arms.

“How do you know what drawer that stuff’s in?” Judy asked, eyes wide.

“They’re always in the top drawer.  Always.  Every time.  Everywhere.  No exception.” Nick flailed.  “Where’s the rest of your stuff?” he looked around the efficiency apartment.

“What do you mean?” she asked. 

“Like... the not your clothing stuff?” he asked.

“My alarm clock is right there.  And I have a box with snacks and some other food items under the desk there.”  She pointed out those things.

“Uh… I mean the rest of it?  Collectibles, knick-knacks, flare, oh my God you don’t have anything!”  Nick stood before Judy, stupefied.

“Well, no, not really Nick.  You saw my home.  We kind of value efficiency.  We don’t amass things because with that many folks living together it becomes a deathtrap in no time.  You have what you need.  Which is everything you see here.”  She gave a gesture.