Episode 9 - Hole

Judy paced in the living room, pulling back her ears tightly yet again.  They’d be longer by the time she got done with this damned ‘holiday’.  He hustled them.  He hustled everyone.  The whole thing was a hustle.  She growled, turning on a heel and shaking her paws in front of her as if her anger was gummed up between her fingers.  She was so mad that her teeth hurt from it.  She could not remember ever having been this irritated at Nick.

“Oooh, when I get my paws on him.” she grumbled.  He made it seem like he’d never heard of Munch.  On the train he made that poor bunny mother uncomfortable having to watch her little son explain it to a fox, but Nick already knew all about it.  He not only knew about it, but was apparently a champion player.  Of course he didn’t feel it was unfair to foxes, he had actual trophies!  Judy didn’t even know they played that in Zootopia, much less that foxes liked to play.  It was a ruse to make everyone think he was an amateur.  She thought her partner was going to get humiliated by bunnies but the fox would have creamed her whole family publicly if she hadn’t been playing too. 

If that fox’s partner had opted to just sit on the sidelines her family would have been known in the town as disorganized fox chow!

Vivienne had not realized that Judy was mad at the end of the conversation which was fortunate because she would not have to be a witness for the trial.  They had briefly discussed when they were returning to Zootopia and she brought up the video that had been aired with Nick hunting Judy.  The vixen did not seem surprised by it but Nick had really told her pretty much everything.  He was so honest with her about it.  She wished he could have been honest with his partner about a few things.  Judy popped her knuckles.

Even worse, he set up that game and he charged entry for them to see him wreck the Hopps family in a game of skill that twelve hardworking bunnies should have been expected to win against one city fox.  Was this supposed to remind them that foxes were not placid things that drove pink trucks to seem non-threatening - that they were still a thing of power and speed and cunning?  He even made poor Gideon give up part of his earnings for the right to be there for that ruse.  She could not believe Nick would do such a thing.  Sure, he came in expecting that bunnies were going to be untrusting and all, but they hadn’t been.  He’d been treated wonderfully by everyone except her centenarian grandfather, who he was probably traumatizing by driving him to darker, scarier, and increasingly out of the way places.  The door opened and Judy steeled her nerve.  She couldn’t get loud, it was late, but she was not going to back down.  She was going to put that fox in his place.

It was just Charlie.  He sauntered in as Judy put on a more relaxed expression.  He had obviously hung out somewhere with friends since it took so long to get back.  Her brother smiled to her meekly as he found the doe standing alone in the living room.

“How’d dinner go?  Did Pop-Pop behave?” he asked.  Judy’s ears flattened.

“No.  He did not.  Nick’s driving him back to the home.” The doe crossed her arms in front of her.

“Nick… Wait Nick’s driving him back?  He went alone with the fox?  Is he unhappy at Honey Acres?” Charlie asked with a laugh.

“Did you know Nick was a champion Munch player?” Judy asked.

“No.  He said he’d played in school, but I didn’t know he was all that.  I guess after playing with him I can see it, sure.  I’ve never played such a good game of Munch in my life.  I bet those who play the game are looking up all their fox friends now!"  He laughed.