15 - Jail Breaks

Astraea and Loki found themselves in the palace orangery, surrounded by plants from nearly every realm

Astraea and Loki found themselves in the palace orangery, surrounded by plants from nearly every realm. The whispers of glowing blue roses, reminiscent of Astraea's own home, sent a nearly silent song through the air as she walked by them.

Astraea paused, not entirely sure how she had convinced Loki to let her tag along on this mission to seek information about her mother's killer. "Loki," she said, stopping just before a large pond. "Will you answer me something?"

"Depends on the question," he replied, his voice as smooth as silk.

She already felt fragile and self-conscious around him, as if Loki had a way of bringing out a side of herself she never knew existed.

"What if we get caught?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

Loki smirked, his eyes dancing with mischief. "Then, my dear, we will be imprisoned for treasonous acts."

Astraea's heart skipped a beat at the thought. "But you will get off in a few years," she said, her voice trembling. "I might as well just chop my own head off now."

Loki's smirk widened into a grin, and he leaned in closer. "Then by all means, little god."

Astraea glared at Loki, who seemed to take pleasure in her worry. She pushed past him and found a seat by the wishing well in the garden. "You know, my father's war chief, Thanos, has this saying: 'All things are uneven, and I must bring balance to the realms.' When I was younger, I didn't understand what that meant, but the moment I arrived here, I knew. I'm supposed to marry your brother and end the war between our families, Loki. But how can I do such things when I feel betrayed by the very family I'm supposed to be wed into? Your father seems as if he doesn't care that my mother was murdered within these walls."

Loki's eyes gleamed with a hint of mischief. "Revenge, mothers, and daughters," he mused.

Astraea turned to him, her eyes glistening with tears. "You have to help me, Loki. I know you said I was foolish for this, but this idea is the only one I know that could possibly give me any clue as to who would do such things. If those guards know anything, I know you're the one who can find out."

"Well then, I suppose we should get going," Loki replied, a sly smile playing on his lips.

The two carefully wandered the halls in secret, staying close to the shadows to avoid being caught. Finally, they reached the jail cell hall. Loki pulled Astraea into a small room for servants just before the guards passed by.

"Listen closely to me," he whispered. "If you don't, I will leave you here to die. My magic only lasts so long. We have maybe mere minutes once we're in there. Don't be foolish and get us caught, and most certainly, do not ask questions so bluntly. My father's guards are trained to be wary of my mischief. If they suspect anything, I will gladly throw you to the wolves."

Astraea swallowed hard as she only could nod toward him in understanding. It was only mere moments and a swift wave of his hand that the two were now disguised as Asgard guards. With a moment of thought and reassurance to herself the two walked into the guards room and begin their master plan.