7 - What Are You Up To

Astraea hastily scanned the room with her eyes, her breath growing ragged as the young prince stood in the center, gazing from her balcony with his hands clasped behind his back and an icy glare in his eyes

"Loki - w - what are you doing in here? You -"

"You've been sneaking around in the dungeons," Loki inquired, genuinely curious to hear her excuses, but before she could respond, he spoke again. "What is it that you were searching for?"

Astraea let out a huff, drawing the robe closer to her chest. She was determined not to fall for his trap, manipulated by his cool, crisp words. So, she remained silent. But Loki knew precisely what to say to elicit the response he desired.

"Perhaps it's that you're not really here to marry my brother. Perhaps, you're plotting against us."

"I beg your pardon. Are you accusing me of something?"

The atmosphere is heavy as both Loki and Astraea sense the change in the air around them. Loki turns to face the pale-skinned beauty, hands still clasped behind his back. "No, I'm simply acknowledging something my foolish father has yet to. So, what is it that you were searching for?"

Astraea's voice is sharp as she responds, "Nothing. I was looking for nothing. Not everyone here is out to get something, Loki. You'd do well to remember that instead of making accusations. Now, please leave."

Loki let out a frustrated huff, scowling as he watched Astraea standing still next to his brother at the garden party. He didn't believe her excuses for being in the dungeons. She had an ulterior motive, he was sure of it. Loki's sharp emerald eyes tracked the young beauty as she excused herself. A mischievous smile spread across his lips as he saw this as an opportunity.

His intentions were purely for the safety of Asgard and its people—it's what a king does. Unfortunately, his foolish brother was too oblivious to see this. He watched as his brother followed Astraea around Asgard, catering to her every need, and waiting on her hand and foot. Imbecile. If anything, the woman should be waiting on him. Loki swiftly moved, following closely behind the young goddess, and with a simple wave of his hand, both doors at either end of the long corridor closed.

Astraea gasped, her hand clutching her heart as it threatened to burst out of her chest. She whirled around at the sound of soft steps approaching her. Her breath was shallow, and she swallowed the lump in her throat. "Loki..." Her voice trembled as she spoke his name. Loki narrowed his eyes, stepping forward and nearly closing the gap between them. Astraea was overwhelmed. Looking up at him, he seemed much taller than she remembered, and the air around them shifted to a cooler breeze, as if it might start snowing only on them.

"Tell me," he said calmly, almost in a whisper. "Do you love my brother?"

Astraea tore her icy blue eyes away from Loki, glancing around the corridor only to find it empty. It was just the two of them. Alone. The oxygen in her lungs seemed to freeze.

"Open the doors, let me out!" Heat rose to Astraea's cheeks in a crimson blaze of anger.

Loki's gaze was grave as he repeated his question. "Do you love my brother?"

Astraea stood her ground. "I don't have to answer to you."

Loki's mouth twitched, as if he were suppressing a smirk. "But you do answer to my father, yes? And if my father were to ask, what would your answer be?"

Astraea raised an eyebrow. His words were charming yet dangerous, like venom slipping off his tongue. He was playing her, trying to extract information. "Do you love your brother?" she retorted, her tone sharp.

Loki was caught off guard by her response.

The woman before him tilted her head. "I know all about you, Loki. I know the games you play and how you play them. I won't fall victim. Now, open the doors."

"Please, enlighten me," Loki suggested, his tone provocative. His emerald eyes remained locked with her icy blue ones.

"You don't always have to be the bad guy. I am not your enemy. I am not here on some secret mission; you don't have to try and intimidate me. I am here to wed your brother and be queen. That is all. I can understand how it must be for you, growing up in the shadow of someone like Thor, and I know exactly what you are doing. You're looking for something wrong within me so you can go running to your father for approval. You won't find it here, not in me, not in my father, and certainly not in my mother. Just accept that. Now, open the doors."

Loki glared intensely at the beauty before him, his teeth clenched. He felt a mixture of emotions deep within him, and he couldn't even begin to describe them—because he had never felt these feelings before. His shoulders shook with a combination of rage and sadness, as he knew her words to be true. Loki had always, despite his attempts to convince himself otherwise, felt inferior to his brother. All his life, he had only wanted to be Thor's equal.

Loki scoffed, "I do not need my father's approval. I am not some petty child seeking to make my father proud. You know nothing of me."

Astraea countered, "Then why are we here? Why did you follow me?"

In that moment, Loki's rage vanished for a brief second. He loathed the woman before him; it seemed she knew more about him than he liked. She saw him, and he hated her for it. Without another word, he turned around, ignoring the satisfied grin on Astraea's face as he walked away, defeated.