24 - Hello, Dear

Astraea's eyes drifted upwards to the small parchment paper dangling in her maid's hands. "What's that?" she inquired.

"It's an invitation from Prince Thor, M'lady," the maid replied, a hint of excitement in her voice. "He wishes to have you in his chambers for a romantic dinner tonight."

Astraea forced a smile, hoping it appeared genuine as she ensured her dimples showed and the little crinkles at her eyes. "How lovely," she said, her voice laced with feigned enthusiasm. "He is the most delightful. Thank you for delivering the letter; you may go now."

As the young maid left the room, the door clicking shut behind her, Astraea collapsed onto her bed, releasing a deep sigh of resignation.

"Where did I go wrong...?" She whispered to herself, running her hands over her face in distress. Where did she go wrong? Was it the very first time she saw him and she looked a little too long? Or was it when he held her while she watched her mother's golden ash disappear? She didn't know when or how, but she had fallen for him; or maybe this was all a illusion of the soul bond. She couldn't possibly have fallen in love with him, could she?

Astraea sighed another deep breath, as much as she didn't want to leave this room she knew she had to. She forced her aching bones up and toward her wardrobe. She felt weaker than usual, her muscles were sore; a deep burning sore that lingered. Her feet felt as if she was carrying around heavy chains, making each step she took a drag; toes tipping causing a fumble.

"You look lovely," Loki spoke. His reflection in the mirror just behind Astraea; a smirk on his lips.

"What is it that you want? If you're worried I'll tell don't be. We just need to pretend it never happened and just part ways I th—"

"I, Loki God mischief declare myself under the eyes of Tatiana, priestess of all Devine church," his words fumbled off his lips like a whisper through the wind. Emerald eyes gleam a soft touch as she stares at him in the reflection.

"What are you doing...?"

"To Astraea goddess of innocence and purity."

"Loki..." She gasps. A cold hand presses soft and gentle against the back of her neck, twisting her around; lips connect.

A gust of emerald green, ocean blues, and white light burst around them. Loki holds the girl tight, letting the all too familiar euphoria feeling overtake them both. The young girl relaxed into his embrace, the kiss soothing the lingering pain in her muscles.

"What did you do?"

Loki smirked, the irony of this moment. "My father's guards will be here any minute to take us to prison for treason."

"Loki, What did you do?" She asked calmly again. Loki hadn't expected that reaction but was grateful. Her soft eyes gleam at him with worry and are looking at him for security.

"I —"

Before he could get another word out, guards filled the young goddess's chambers; surrounding them. Swords and death stares are pointed at them — still in their embrace.

"Step away from her prince Loki, you both are headed to the jails."