28 - Utter

"Astraea." The voice sounded distant, a whisper carried by the wind, calling her name. Astraea opened her eyes, her gaze falling on the white ceiling above her. She looked around her cell, finding no one in sight. Loki remained still, asleep in his bed. The young girl stood, the cold tile floor sending a chill through her feet.

"Astraea."

She heard the voice once more, only this time, it was louder. Crossing her arms over her chest, she tried to shield herself from the cold breeze that had swept in. "Loki," she called out, her voice echoing in the small room. "Loki, wake up."

His body shifted in his bed, rolling onto his side as his eyes slowly opened. "Yes," he replied, his voice groggy and tired.

"Someone's calling my name," she said, her tone uncertain.

"I don't hear anything," Loki answered, his brow furrowing.

Astraea stayed silent, even after he spoke. She waited, listening intently for the voice to call out again.

"Astraea."

"There! Loki, there did you hear it?" She jumped on her toes, her finger pointing at nothing in the distance.

"Shhh." His finger came to his lips, and he slowly wriggled out of bed. He walked over to the wall separating them, his body tense as he remained on high alert.

They waited, ears wide open, listening for the voice to call out again. But when nothing else was heard, Astraea sighed.

"We're losing our minds down here," she said, her voice laced with frustration.

Loki only stared off into the deep unknown of his mind for several seconds. "No, we're not going mad. Someone is trying to communicate with us."

Astraea walked forward, closer to the wall, closer than she had ever been before out of fear she would be able to feel him. But right now, all she wanted was to feel him, to have his cold arms wrapped around her tiny frame, engulfing her.

"By who?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I don't know," Loki replied, his eyes scanning the room for any sign of the mysterious voice. He walked back to his bed, his mind racing with possibilities.

"You're just going to ignore that?" Astraea questioned, her voice filled with disbelief.

"There is nothing I can do about the strange voice, Astraea," he said, his tone resigned. "I am locked in a cell. Whoever it is will ultimately come to us."

•••

The next morning, Loki was jolted awake by the sound of arguments. He sat up in his bed, eyes adjusting to the dim light of the cell. He could see Astraea's small frame standing at the edge of her cell, screaming furiously at the guard.

"I want a trial!" Astraea demanded, her voice filled with determination. "Tell Odin I want to see him!"

Loki watched as she stomped her feet and threw her hands around, a tantrum fit for a queen. He rolled his eyes, slightly annoyed, but he understood that she needed to vent her frustration.

She knew just as well as he did that she was getting nowhere, but this meant she wasn't screaming at him, so Loki allowed her tantrum and listened as she insulted the guard for several moments while he made himself some tea.

"Astraea," Loki spoke, sipping his tea and stopping Astraea just before a bitter sentence broke her lips. "Let this guard free of your little fit so he can relay your message."

Astraea glared at Loki, her eyes filled with fury. The stare was so intense that he thought maybe now she was going to inflict her tantrum on him. The guard hurried away before the stare between the two broke, and she was hounding him again.

Lucky. Loki thought for a brief second.

"I want out of here," she groaned. "Odin can't keep us here forever, we have to have a trial at some point."

Loki crossed his hands behind his back, pacing his side of the wall just from Astraea. "Patience love."

"I don't think I have anymore left," she replied, her voice filled with frustration.

"Then find some. Throwing tantrums at the guards isn't going to achieve anything, you're making yourself look foolish."

Astraea eyed Loki. She was frustrated, angry, and a whole mixing kettle of emotions. Some hers and others not; enough to make someone go mad.

"Loki," Astraea spoke, her voice calm but raising Loki's suspicions of her next few words. "Why does everything that comes off your lips always so rude?"

Loki paused, feeling her hurt. Her voice was smooth, but the dreadful feeling of angst deep in his chest was hers.

"Nothing that ever utters my lips is intended to hurt you, Astraea," he paused, "I love you." He stared at her — desperately, anxiously — watching her blue eyes gleam in the light.

Astraea exhaled, closing her eyes she slowly shook her head, whispering. "Don't say that."