30 - Firefly

Odin carried himself with grace and confidence as they walked down the long corridors.

"What do you want from me?" Astraea asked, her voice filled with curiosity.

"Particularly nothing," Odin replied, his voice gentle as he glanced her way. "We'll take a stroll, leaving Loki to wonder upon his thoughts, and I will tell you a story."

"A story?" Astraea paused for a moment, thinking about what kind of story Odin could possibly want to tell her.

Odin smiled, stopping to turn her way. He admired the young girl, filled with such curiosity and enthusiasm; she reminded him a lot of her mother. "Yes, a story. I want to apologize first; your mother... she should be here to tell you this story, and for that, I give my utmost regards."

Astraea smiled softly and tilted her head in gratitude. Odin nodded and took this time to carry on as the two started their stroll once more through the palace halls.

"Did you know your mother was once married?" Odin asked, his voice gentle as they continued their stroll.

Astraea nodded, the memory of her mother flooding her mind. For a moment, she remembered her mother's smile, her laugh, and her golden energy. She felt content. "Yes, she told me once."

"She was married to the God of War, a very unpleasant being, if I must say," Odin paused, allowing his words to sink in. "You grew up in times of war, and you were led to believe it was over boundaries and power, but indeed, all that chaos was over your mother. Before all the fighting began and your mother was married to another, all the realms truly did get along. So well that we held a Party of the Realms Festival each year, celebrating another year of peace and friendships. Your father also had a wife at this time, and when he walked right past his own wife and asked your mother to dance. . People started to wonder."

Odin smiled, a gleam in his eyes as he reminisced about those young times. The memories seemed to put a spark in his youth.

"As time went on, things turned for the worst between your mother and her husband. Your poor mother came to my aid one dreadful night; blood coated her cheeks. I did not ask questions, for that wasn't my place, but I arranged for her to meet your father that very next night in exchange for a favor; a favor I cashed in on you to marry my son."

Astraea avoided his gaze, feeling embarrassed to hold it. She felt almost betrayed by her own family. A bargaining chip. She was not a toy to be sold, but yet her parents had done as such.

Odin stopped walking, turning to face the young girl. "How many tens of thousands had to die because your mother and father fell in love?"

Astraea stared at him, unsure of the message he was trying to convey. "What are you trying to say?"

Odin sighed. "You are your mother, dear child. But, you don't have to be. If you choose neither."

"I don't understand."

"My sons both love you, and I fear that if you stay, war will be upon us. Brother against brother."

Astraea took a seat on a nearby bench, picking at her nails. "You want me to leave... You want me to not choose either and run away."

Odin took the seat next to her. "Yes."

Astraea stared at him, her soft, innocent eyes conveying her vulnerability. "I love him."

Odin's eyes softened as he felt sympathy for the young girl before him. She was just a child, still figuring out the world as it came to her. Unfortunately for her, the universe had given her the sourest lemons and expected this child to make lemonade. He cupped her tiny palms in his and their eyes met. "Which one?"