Chapter 11

''Ms

''Ms. Harper?''

I twitched, refusing to open my eyes.

''I'm sorry, Ms. Harper, I need you to leave. We have a viewing scheduled in half an hour''

I felt them nudge my shoulder gently.

''I'm afraid I'll have to call your brother, Ms. Harper''

I opened my eyes at this, groaning. ''I'm up, relax'' I muttered under my breath, slowly slipping off my parent's bed. ''How'd you even know I was here?'' I yawned. Once my high was worn off, I passed out right on the bed.

''Your brother has an alarm system installed. We get immediate notifications of intrusions'' The woman informed me with a forced smile.

''Does he know then?'' I asked, not bothering to put on an act.

''No, I haven't said anything yet'' She shook her head, glancing down to my pocket. A small, clear bag stuck out from it. I shoved it deeper in, grunting.

''Well, don't say anything. Alright?'' I asked, on my way out of the bedroom.

''Alright, Ms. Harper'' She nodded curtly.

With that, I trudged down the stairs and physically left the house I would never be able to mentally leave.

***

''Scarlett?''

I took the bottle of bitter alcohol away from my lips at the mention of my name. Looking up from the curb right outside his diner, I spotted Hunter. He was locking the place up with occasional glances thrown my way.

''That's me'' I nodded before taking another swig of Vodka.

''What are you doing here?'' He asked, slowly strolling right up to me. His tall, suited figure was towering over me as I sat on the curb. Without thinking, due to the alcohol and the illegal substances in my blood, I patted the curb as an invitation for him to sit next to me.

He hesitated but sat down anyway.

''I'm...drinking!'' I raised the bottle, offering him a drink.

He looked down at the bottle and then into my eyes again, thinking about something. ''Are you high?'' He asked.

''As a kite'' I smiled stupidly.

''I thought you quit...'' He trailed off, frowning.

''And I thought you had fun, as you said, but it turns out you're more boring than I thought!'' I sighed dramatically. ''Look at you, working late on a Saturday night!'' I chuckled before chugging some more Vodka, ignoring the burn in my throat.

He glanced at the almost empty bottle, unamused. ''And you're more predictable than I thought''.

I scowled, looking at the cars that passed us by. ''I thought we were done with the assumptions and the constant judgment thrown my way?''