Chapter 12

Turns out, Hunter had a great stash of alcohol in his office

''No, but, remember that time Gray got dumped for wearing different socks to a date?'' I said in between laughs, clutching the whiskey bottle in my hand as I sat on Hunter's desk.

He stopped rummaging through his alcohol stash to laugh, throwing his head back in drunken joy. ''That was too good. His face was priceless'' He shook his head, remembering it.

''He was always so unlucky with girls'' I sighed, crossing my legs and leaning back as I balanced on my free arm. ''The poor guy'' I chuckled.

''Yeah, well, look at him now'' Hunter grabbed another whiskey bottle and shut the cabinet. ''Happily married, living his lifelong dream''

''Yeah, he really is living his dream...'' I smiled down at the floor, thinking of my brother's perfect family. ''I'm really happy for him. Even if I don't show it, y'know?''

He nodded, sitting right beside me on his desk, ''He deserves it''

''He does'' I nodded as well.

I watched as he took a swig of his whiskey bottle, admiring his relaxed features. It was unusual to see him like this. Ever since I came back, he was an uptight mess. Which was strange to me because he used to be the most carefree guy I knew. ''What about you?'' My thoughts brought me to speak to him.

''What about me?'' He looked to his right side, gazing into my eyes.

''You deserve that too'' I referred to our conversation about my brother.

''Oh,'' He chuckled as he placed the bottle on the floor to fold his arm across his muscled torso. ''I'm alright'' He shook his head.

''You don't want a family?'' I asked, drunkenly frowning.

''I....'' He struggled to find an answer. ''I don't know'' He finally sighed. ''I mean, I think I do. But...these days I don't know what I want. You know? It's like, nothing is the same anymore''

I stared at him silently, all kinds of emotions whirling around in my drunken mind.

''When my dad died, I kind of lost it. And then, when I finally came back to my senses, my aunt died too. And I was left with just your brother. It hit me hard...y'know?''

''And me'' I whispered, staring at him intently.

His head snapped up to look into my eyes too, ''What?''.

''You have me too'' I spoke louder this time, gathering some intoxicated confidence.

''Right...'' He nodded slowly, his eyes jumping from my lips to my eyes in a daze. ''I have you too'' He whispered just as I started leaning in, my heart hammering like crazy. His eyes trapped me, making me stop what I was doing. Did I read the atmosphere wrong? I thought, only for him to lean in too. I gulped, before licking my bottom lip. His eyes immediately raced down, darkening at the sight.