Chapter 14

"Alright everyone, I know the last few weeks have been difficult because of how understaffed we were

"Alright everyone, I know the last few weeks have been difficult because of how understaffed we were..." Hunter sighed as he shut his office door and appeared in the kitchen. Everyone stopped what they were doing, paying their full attention to Boss. I, however, continued to file my nails by the sinks. "However, you'll be glad to hear, a few workers are coming back tomorrow" He added, making everyone exhale in relief.

The dishwashing ladies, whose names are Georgia and Melissa, gave me all the information I needed. They were the diner's gossip duo, knowing everything that went on around the place. So, being the discreet detective-wannabe, I learned everything from them.

They told me all about the blonde woman, who apparently comes around every so often and shamelessly flirts with Hunter. From what they've seen and known, she's a rich bitch who tries too hard to get her hands on the famous CEO- Hunter Hawthorne. I dug a little, over the days, and found out she's just some rich man's daughter.

My assumption? Her dad is trying to secure all his deals with Hunter by using his daughter. End goal? They get married and form one of many unhappy marriages fueled by money, success, lies, and betrayal.

But as Hunter said- she's just business.

"Is Becky coming back?" Greg asked, interrupting my thoughts. I looked up, suddenly interested in the conversation happening around me.

Hunter laid eyes on my sudden interest, his face growing annoyed. I smirked before looking back down at my nail file. "Uh...no, Greg. Not Becky'' He shook his head, eyeing me.

They went on and on about some old workers coming back. Two were on maternity leave, apparently. Some have been sick/on vacation. And some left the job but are coming back, for some strange reason. If I left, trust me, I'd never step foot in this place again.

''We done?'' I asked, annoyed with the small talk around me.

Hunter snapped his head my way, eyebrows furrowed in irritation. ''Excuse me?'' He asked, trying to stay professional. Georgia pursed her lips, smiling from what was happening right in front of everyone's eyes.

I tried to hold my own smile back, ''Is the conversation finished? I'd like to get back to work''.

''Hm, is that so?'' He raised an eyebrow, trapping me with his serious glare.

I nodded, looking down at my nails.

''Okay, go ahead'' He motioned toward the front.

Holding my head high and getting an encouraging slap on the behind from Georgia, I sauntered off to the front part of the diner all by myself.

I would be lying if I said that things were back to normal between Hunter and me after everything had happened. Things were so much worse and I couldn't put my finger on the exact reason for that happening.