Knife under your throat

Recluse x Aesop in a maid outfit :')

_______

"Argh... What a day..."

Hard days were not what were missing in the life of the renowned detective Eli Clark. Every day was a different case and it wasn't like business was going badly, quite the opposite. He was so efficient that he would solve every request in a day or two.

However, being overloaded also took its toll on his body, and to avoid fainting from exhaustion once he got home and overwhelmed with paperwork, he hired a maid to take care of the housework. Well, she did more than that, she prepared his meals, organized his papers and advised him on which case to take first.

Without his faithful servant Aes Carl, Eli Clark would have been a pile of dust long ago. It was an odd name for a young woman, but perhaps it was because she was a foreigner. The lady had indeed a particular hair color of an ashy gray. He quickly investigated her but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Today again, Aes was waiting for him at the entrance of the big house and took his coat off when he arrived. The detective thanked her before heading to his office, ten times cleaner since the arrival of his servant. He sat down in his chair and pulled a cigar from his drawer and burned the end.

"You should quit smoking." a soft voice spoke.

"Ah, sorry. It's true I said I'd make an effort to..."

Eli rubbed the back of his head with an embarrassed look on his face before putting the cigarette in his ashtray and crushing it in. Aes stood in the doorway, her gaze fixed on the detective. She wasn't the talkative type and that had put the detective in awkward situations many times but he couldn't say anything about her flawless performance.

He smiled at the thought and earned a glare from the young woman who probably didn't appreciate him lazing around instead of working. The detective cleared his throat when he saw his maid's expression and then began to pull out files on his desk.

"Dinner will be ready in about ten minutes."

"Thank you."

Eli threw him a smile that was coldly ignored by the latter who left immediately after leaving this information. The young man sighed sadly before focusing his attention on the sheets before him. What case would he take on next ?

If possible, something different other than looking for evidence of married men's cheating adventures...

"Assassin... Trickster...?"

He pulled a file from his stack and began to glance through it. The request wasn't really strange since it was simply to find information about a person but the part that caught his attention was that code name, Trickster.

When you work in a business like his, you've inevitably heard that name at least once. Trickster is known as a master assassin in the art of disguise. Until now, no one has seen his true appearance or managed to catch him. Given his profession, it was obvious that the request came from one of his enemies.

However, it was difficult to find information about someone whose face no one had ever seen. Nevertheless, he decided to take the case. Why, when he himself had just thought that it was a complicated task ? Precisely because it was. It seemed to be exactly what he needed right now, a touch of spice.

So he put the other files away and put this one aside before heading to the dining room where Aes had probably already set the table. He certainly wouldn't want to see her angry. Indeed, when he arrived, he saw the young woman bringing the food to the table. He took a seat and then turned to his servant.