Let's bake a cake

Eli x Aesop

Modern AU

______

It was two in the afternoon. Aesop was sitting on the couch reading a book, slowly flipping from one page to another, while Eli was lying down with his head on his lap. The brunet was staring intently at his phone when he suddenly shouted, taking his boyfriend by surprise who dropped his book on his face.

"Ack- Aesop !"

"Sorry."

The ashen haired young man pulled his book away from his darling's face and placed it on the table, being careful to put his bookmark where he left off. His eyes were now directed at the blue-eyed boy who rubbed his forehead, pressing where a red mark now decorated his white skin.

"Be more careful next time..." he said with a sigh.

"You know I'm easily surprised." retorted the gray-eyed one.

"Okay, okay, my bad."

"So, what did you see ?"

The brunet sketched a wide smile at his question as if he had been waiting for this moment for a long time. He straightened up, sitting properly beside his lover while putting an arm around his shoulders then showed him the screen of his phone. On it, it could be seen that he was watching a cooking video.

"A chocolate cake...?"

"Let's make one !"

"What, now ?"

"When else ? We have everything needed in the apartment besides !"

To be honest, even though they had moved in together, neither of them could really cook. They could make simple things but they often ordered takeout most of the time too. Well, that was also because they didn't put much effort into it. At least on Aesop's side. He knew that if he put some effort into it he could do something pretty good but never had the energy for it.

On the brunet's side... Leaving him in the kitchen to do something elaborate was out of the question. He certainly didn't feel like calling the fire department for the umpteenth time in a month. A cake... That shouldn't be too complicated normally...

"Well ?"

He turned his gaze to his lover once more and sighed. How could he refuse when the latter was looking at him so insistently, his eyes sparkling ? There was only one solution left.

"Very well."

"Great !"

Eli grabbed the male's face between his hands and placed a kiss on his forehead, smiling. The latter blushed slightly before getting up from the couch to go to the kitchen, followed by the brunet. However, Aesop arrived a little after his lover because he went to take an elastic band in his room to tie up his hair so that they would not be in the way.

"Is this thing really necessary...?" said Eli.

The other young man looked at the younger one with a disbelieving look on his face, not sure if he should laugh or not. Aesop was putting an apron on him like the ones you see in the movies. Since when did he even have that ? This was the first time he had seen it.

"I don't want to get my clothes dirty. You better put one on too if you don't want to get dirt all over yourself." he replied easily, not seeing the problem.

"Oh, uh, that's okay. I think it'll fit you better than me anyway..."

That sentence struggled to come out and when the last words came out of his mouth, he couldn't help but burst out laughing, so much so that he held his stomach while leaning on the kitchen island. Aesop pestered and gave a jab in his rib to shut him up.

"Argh- have you decided that today is going to be my last or what ?"

"Don't worry, I'll take good care of your body if that happens."

A shiver ran through his body as he heard this, perhaps because he knew that the gray-haired one really meant what he had just said. Finally, they stopped fooling around and began to dig into their cupboards to pull out the ingredients and utensils they needed.

"I think we have everything we need !"

"Well, then first..." he paused, while looking at his phone screen with the recipe. "Weigh the flour."

Aesop looked down at the work surface to see where the flour bag was. He then took it in his hands to open it, or try to. The bag seemed to be quite sturdy and would not open. Eli offered to help when he saw him in distress but the other boy had far too much pride in him to accept.

He then rolled up his sleeves and prepared to pry open the package. A 'pop' sounded in the kitchen and it finally opened, a cloud of flour exploding in the younger boy's face at the same time. The boy took a step back, coughing and sneezing to release the flour particles.

"My god, and you're the one who didn't want to get it all over your face ?"

"S-Shut up..."

"Come on now, come here."

With that, Aesop turned to the brown-haired man, a little reluctant. Eli then reached out his arm to wipe the flour that was on his cheeks with his sleeve, not caring if he got dirty or not. He rubbed his gray hair a little with his other hand, laughing softly. The male looked a little less like a ghost now.

"Oh, there's a little left over here."

"Where ?"

"Right here."

He leaned in again, rubbing the tip of his nose against the smaller boy's. The latter took a step back, bringing both hands up to his face to hide his nose and blushing cheeks. The brunet laughed again and kissed him quickly on the forehead before taking the flour to weigh it down. 

Eventually, they managed to follow the rest of the recipe, sometimes pouring chocolate out of the bowl or splashing the other one a little. The kitchen looked like a mess, but the base was finally finished, put into a mold and then into the oven. It was just a matter of waiting now.

"Fifteen minutes should be enough. I'll go take a shower meanwhile."

"Want me to come along ?"

"I can manage on my own, thanks."

Eli chuckled before pulling up a chair and sitting down in the corner of the room while Aesop went off to give his body a fresh cleaning. He returned about twenty minutes later and was greeted by the sweet smell of chocolate as he reached the kitchen.

"There you are, I was just getting the cake out."

The gray-eyed boy had his hair loose this time, a few beads of water coming down on his top that was a little too large for him. He must have mistakenly taken one from Eli instead. Cute was the first word that came to the mind of the brunet but he held back from pronouncing it for fear that he would really end his days.

Aesop widened slightly his eyes by seeing that his boyfriend had taken the opportunity to clean up while he took his shower. There was no trace of flour or chocolate anywhere. He smiled a little before taking another stool and coming to sit next to Eli who was cutting two pieces of cake.

"Here."

The young man took the plate that the brunet handed him and planted his fork to take a bite. It was good.

"So ?"

"A little too sweet for my taste."

He cut another piece with his fork and brought it to Eli's lips this time. The latter was a little taken by surprise but leaned over to eat the piece of cake he presented to him. He nodded to confirm the taste of the result of their hard work.

So they continued to enjoy the chocolate cake they had made together, in the quiet and peace. It was a pleasant moment that will remain engraved in their memories, accompanied by the slightly too sweet taste of chocolate.