A glass of whiskey, some sweet words

Magic Item Keeper | Norton x Call Bell | Aesop

__________

Dim lighting, background sounds of people absorbed in their personal discussions and a soft melody coming from the old phonograph to accompany their drinks. At the counter stood the waiter, venetian blond hair tied in a ponytail and a black and gold uniform matching the colors of the bar. He was wiping a glass with a clean cloth when a customer came to sit on a stool in front of him.

He didn't stop and simply looked up at the familiar customer, a well-built blond man with blue eyes wearing a khaki green jacket over a white shirt, suspenders and a yellow scarf around his neck to give him a classy and elegant look. The man's name was Norton Campbell and he worked at the local clock shop. He would often come in after his shifts and have a drink at the same place, sometimes exchanging a few words with the waiter to pass the time.

"What can I get you, dear customer?"

"A glass of whiskey."

Aesop nodded before setting the glass he was cleaning aside with the cloth then turning to the shelf behind him. He grabbed a tumbler and set it on the counter, put a few ice cubes in it, then grabbed a bottle of whiskey and poured the alcohol into the glass, then pushed it towards the other man. The latter murmured his thanks before drinking the liquid in one gulp.

The barman waited until the blond man put back his glass to fill it again without saying anything. It was as usual, their strange routine of every evening. Norton would come and sit and order the same drink and Aesop would be there to refill his glass. All they exchanged were small talk about their day or other unimportant things, but without anyone noticing, it had already become their daily routine and they found a certain pleasure in it.

It was the same thing every day. Or almost. Norton never looked him in the eye. He didn't know why but it was like a rule they had set between them, glances out of the corner of his eye were allowed but he never confronted him face to face. In that case, why was a pair of blue eyes poking holes through his core? It was strange, unusual, and sent an intoxicating shiver down his spine.

"Is there something on my face?" the waiter asked.

"You have dark eyes." the man declared.

"Yes...?"

"They're beautiful."

What? Aesop murmured a simple thank you that made the blond man smile as he then turned his back to rearrange the liquors. What was going through his mind? He never complimented her nor said anything about him either. Maybe he had a very difficult time today and was completely exhausted? Surely that had to be the case, why else would he do all these strange things.

"When are you done tonight?"

The bartender turned back to the clockmaker, one eyebrow raised.

"Eleven o'clock at night." he replied.

"I see."

"Why is that?"

"How about we reverse the roles for once, I take you out for a drink somewhere?"

The male then widened his pupils even more and that's when it struck him. What was the possibility that Norton was behaving in such a disconcerting way not because of fatigue but for some other reason like... a personal interest in him. Perhaps it was full of himself to think so, but all the clues the other man was leaving seemed pretty explicit. The look straight into his eyes, the compliment, and literally asking him out.

Aesop wasn't the type to accept these kinds of requests. He didn't really enjoy the presence of others to be honest and preferred to observe rather than participate. Still, something about the scarred blond attracted him and his cologne gave off a scent that seemed to whisper to him to surrender to him. Ah, another strange thrill.

"Fine."

He agreed. Norton's smile widened slightly and he finished his drink again, Aesop coming to refill it once more as well. For the first time, the bartender wasn't going to go home and feel the comfort of his home again. However, even if a part of him was disappointed, another one could not help but look forward to him finishing his shift for the evening. This night different from the others could perhaps give him a liking for change and who knows, a more intimate relationship...