Sleepless and hot cocoa

Norton x Aesop

________

It was dark when the embalmer gently opened his door and slipped out of his room. It had been a few days since his mind had been clouded by one of his worries and it was beginning to affect his sleep by keeping him awake so long that he couldn't fall asleep unless he exhausted himself by doing something or getting some fresh air as he was about to do at this very moment.

He tiptoed down the long hallway, careful not to make any noise so as not to wake the other residents who were in a deep sleep. He passed the doors of the rooms, the garden, the music room, and then other rooms until he ended up in the living room. There he noticed that the fireplace was still burning brightly and that a figure was sitting on the sofa facing it.

"Aesop?"

Norton Campbell. Surely an evil trick of fate. The former miner stood up with a surprised expression before approaching the gray-eyed young man who still didn't move from the doorway.

"What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Oh, I see. Likewise."

A silence fell over the two men after they learned the reason behind the other's nightly awakening. Neither was particularly good at making conversation so the situation quickly became awkward.

"Why don't you come and sit by the fire? You'll catch a cold walking around without your jacket."

Ah, indeed, he had been so absorbed in his thoughts earlier that he didn't think to put on his gray jacket before going out. Then as the prospector had just said, he felt a chill run down his spine at the very moment he mentioned the freezing temperature of the mansion, they were probably in the middle of winter at this time of the year.

Norton laughed softly as he saw Aesop shivering from the cold before grabbing his hand to lead him to the large red velvet sofa. The embalmer felt an electric current at the touch of the latter but said nothing and simply took a seat on the sofa. The black-eyed male then wrapped a large thick blanket around him and he felt the warmth of it immediately. Had he used it before he arrived?

"Stay here, I'll go make some hot chocolate."

The young man nodded and watched out of the corner of his eye as the prospector left to go to the kitchen. When he was out of earshot, his attention was focused on the ticking of the old clock that was still working as best as it could, the crackling of the logs burning in front of him and the faint charcoal smell they gave off. All this while snuggled in a soft blanket...

After a few minutes, Norton returned from the kitchen with two cups of cocoa. However, as he approached the embalmer, he noticed that his eyes were closed and he was not moving. He stood there looking at him before realizing that it was a little creepy to be standing there and moved to sit next to Aesop, putting his cup on the table and keeping his own in his hands.

He took a sip of the warm drink, his eyes still not seeming to leave the delicate face of the embalmer and his long eyelashes falling. The young man had such a calm and peaceful expression that it could melt anyone's heart, him first. To be honest, the prospector had already noticed the young male for a while. His reactions, his way of speaking, what he liked to eat or do...

"When will you see that I'm just looking at you?"

"I know."

Norton suddenly widened his eyes at the other's response and looked at him even more stunned as he opened his eyes and reached out to grab his cup and sip it. Wasn't he asleep!?

"You were awake?"

"I never said I wasn't."

"Indeed, don't you have anything to say?"

"Exactly, I would like to know why. "

Why... was he watching him? It seemed pretty obvious to him given the way he had admitted it, but maybe Aesop really didn't know?

"Well, it's because I like you a lot."

"I see, so do I."

"Hm?"

Had he heard correctly? Did he just say that the feeling was mutual? However, despite the prospector's visible confusion, the embalmer did not bother to repeat or confirm the prospector's doubts. All he did was to put his cup back down, the porcelain of it tinkling slightly as it touched the wood of the table. Then he closed his eyes again, and rested his head against the shoulder of the former miner, without a sound.

Norton still seemed shocked and had a little trouble putting all the pieces together, but he eventually put his cup down with a chuckle and then put an arm around Aesop's wrapped-up body and rested his head against his. He could ask him again if he had understood correctly when the sun came up...