chapter 8

My mind forgets to remind me, you're a bad idea ~TS, sparks fly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I think I was born at the wrong time. The wrong generation. Sometimes I wish I was born in an earlier time.

No iPhones, no insane beauty standards, no playboys. Just good old fashioned living. I don't like this generation. Or this era.

Honestly, I would be happy as a citizen of Ancient Greece or a cleopatra princess in ancient Egypt or even just a normal American 50 years ago.

That way I wouldn't have to deal with any of this current bullshit. Adultery. Greed. Homework.

That's why I love history. It's fun to learn about how life used to be. How things have changed. Where we went wrong.

I should be taking notes right now, not having a ted talk in my head. We had our first history test and I did really well. We've had a few other quizzes, but we're about to start a group project.

"Alright everyone, that's all for the lecture. Now let's discuss your upcoming project. I'll be putting you into pairs based on how well you'll work together. You and your partner will do extensive research on whatever topic I give you and create a presentation to show the class, along with a research paper."

This sounds time consuming. I better get paired with someone tolerable who will actually do some work, so I'm not doing it all on my own.

So basically none of the hockey boys.

Mr. Clement starts calling out the pairs, but he doesn't get to finish before the bell rings. Students start standing up and moving towards the door. No. I didn't get my partner yet.

"Ok class! I'll email you the list of partners for those of you who didn't get your assigned group and topic!" He calls over the chatter from the hall.

"Miss Harper. Mr. Mcgowan. Could you two stay behind please? I'd like to speak with the both of you." Mr. Clement says.

Huh? Me and Luke? Why? Oh no. He better not be my partner. Uh uh. I have patience but not that much patience. I'm not a saint.

We both stay behind as the classroom empties out. I look over and send him a quizzical look. He shrugs his shoulder in response.

"Sorry to keep you, but I'd like to explain some things. You two will be partners for this upcoming project."

What? Isn't this supposed to be based on who you work best with? Is this man blind?

"Miss Harper, I've put you with Mr. Mcgowan because you seem to have a great understanding of this material. And he needs all the help he can get." He explains with a pointed look at Luke, who throws up his hands in surrender.

"Hey, sorry man. I'm more of a math guy myself."

"Yes well, you need to learn how to retain and understand this unit. Allie I would like to ask if you'd tutor Mr. Mcgowan. Just once or twice before each test."

I'm sorry, what?! Tutor. Tutor Luke Mcgowan. Absolutely not. I don't care how much I get paid.

"Um sir I'm kind of busy these days. With classes and whatnot. I'm sure Luke can find a different tutor."

"I thought you might say that. I really think you're the best choice to help him understand the material. Don't you think so Mr. Mcgowan?" He turns to Luke, who's slightly smirking.

"I do think so, teach. She's definitely the most obvious choice. Scared of a dumb jock, James?" He full on smirks.

Oh this is definitely premeditated. He probably put this idea in Mr. Clement's head. I glare at him.