30. 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔞𝔲𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔱𝔴𝔬

Another short chapter but I really wanted to update.

"I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me." Max noted, binoculars held up to her eyes as the six watched Billy Hargrove from behind a car.

With sunglasses fit over his eyes, the man glared around the community pool he worked at, the look in his eyes akin to a hawk watching its prey.

"Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Lucas retorted, earning a sharp side glance from Max.

"I mean, it's a little weird."

"He did something." Bradley spoke up, a fire blazing in his usually bright eyes towards the man. The line of his jaw was tight and his shoulders clenched together, "To my sister." He finished, his eyes darkening at the memory of Y/n's words.

"What is it?" El asked, her eyebrows furrowed at the sharp look in his eyes that had never been seen before by most.

"The other night, Iris came to my house, saying Billy did something to her. She didn't specify what had happened but she was a literal wreck." Y/n added, looking from each of her friends, one by one.

"And I woke up the other day and she was staring at me, holding a towel and a bottle of chloroform. But then, she just ran out." He couldn't fight the unease from his voice no matter how hard he tried. His fists trembled at his sides, nails gripping on his palms tightly as he fought to keep his composure.

"Two at once? That's never really happened before." Mike said, his eyebrows knitted together.

"Guys, we don't even know if they really are the hosts!" Max assured them, looking to everyone for any sign of hope.

"She was watching him sleep, Max!" Lucas countered.

"So?"

"We can't take chances like that. We have to test it. First, we'll test it on Billy, if he isn't flayed then we can most likely count on Iris not being flayed." Mike declared, sighing heavily at the end of his words.

"That's not exactly safe, Mike. What if she is flayed and she just goes for other people while we're testing it on Billy?" Y/n instantly regretted her words when she noticed the clench of Brad's jaw. "Let's test them at the same time." She finished with a sigh.

"Guys, you're getting way ahead of yourselves!" Max exclaimed, "We don't know if either of them are flayed and we don't exactly have any proof."

"He was in a tub with ice, Max. The Mind Flayer likes it cold. Plus, everything El saw in the void." Mike said with a hint of frustration.