Chapter 25 (Connor)

This was so perfect and I didn't want anything to jeopardize it, so I knew exactly what I needed to do. I just didn't want to do it in a way that would result in me getting slapped across the face, or worse. I had to find Brett. He seemed to be the 'go-to' guy for relationship advice now. Fortunately, I managed to grab him in-between class.

"Brett... you have to help me, please."

"Haven't I helped you enough for an entire life time?"

"You have, but there's one other thing."

"And what might that be?"

"I need you to help me break-up with mystery mint kisser. Not break-up...I mean...we weren't together... it was just flirting and... you know what I mean?" I said holding my phone in one shaky hand.

Brett stopped walking and turned to face me. "And how would you like me to do that?"

"I need to send her an email. But what do I say? I don't want to hurt her feelings and....shit Brett...I don't want to mess this thing with Sadie up when it's just starting."

"What do they say about honesty?....I'd start there." Brett started walking again but I grabbed him by the arm.

"But what do I say? Please!" I begged.

He shrugged. "Why not try Google it? 'How to sort-of break-up with the anonymous online girl who kissed you in the dark' It's probably not high up on the search engine."

"But... but..."

Brett stopped my stammering by laying a reassuring arm on my shoulder. "You'll be fine. Just tell her the truth." And with that he walked off.

Our teacher was late to my next period, so had a few extra minutes to compose my email. But as I wrote it, I suddenly worried that my mystery kisser might actually be sitting in the same classroom—That would be fucking awkward!

Honesty. Honesty. Okay, I took a deep breath as I lowered my fingers to my phone.

To: Yourmysterykisser@gmail.com

Subject: Good bye

Message: Hi there, I know this mail will probably come as a shock, this whole thing has been a shock to me, too. Something happened last night that made me realize that this thing between us cannot continue. I know we've been messaging each other, but I'm going to have to put an end to it. I will always be grateful for all the advice and help you gave me over my parents' divorce, and I'll never forget our kiss in the dark. But I have to go with my heart, and my heart belongs to someone else. I'm sorry, and I wish you all the best.

Connor.

My heart pounded as I reread over the message again and again. It sounded so weird, almost formal. Still, it had to be done. So I closed my eyes and pressed send, hoping I wouldn't hear an email notification sound somewhere around me. I pressed and waited.

I didn't hear any beep and I almost melted into the floor with relief. Good sign. But seconds after I'd sent the mail, I got a response. It was an error report. No such email address. What did that mean?—Did Mystery Mint Kisser delete her account.

Maybe she had deleted it because she'd decided to reveal herself to me at the tournament. Or, maybe she just wasn't into me anymore. I was hoping for the second option.

Classes dragged by, and I couldn't concentrate at all. All I wanted to do was kiss Sadie. But this was the one day I wouldn't be able to see her. We didn't have classes together that day, and because of the tournament, I had to head to the courts at lunch for the knockout rounds. At one point in the morning, I managed to manoeuvre myself close enough to Sadie to brush her hand as I walked past. I was desperate to hold her again and I hoped she'd changed her mind about coming to the tournament. I couldn't wait to see her after it was over.