9 - New Faces, Old Friends

Last night's dinner was still on Tommy's mind. Sure it had been nice to get out of the house and have dinner with some people other than Clay, but he couldn't help but wonder why Clay didn't go with them. He claimed he had work to do, but Tommy wasn't so sure.

"Where's Tubbo, and Puffy," Tommy asked the others who were a part of the group. Tubbo would have said something, right?

"I don't know," Jack shrugged. Bolin and Opal were busy and had to leave Jack in Republic City while they went out of town, something he wasn't happy with. "Probably had better things to do."

"Don't say that," Niki said, elbowing him. "Tubbo said he'd be back soon and Puffy actually is doing something else, but she wishes she were here."

"Oh, okay," Tommy said, this sort of reassured him.

"Hey Tommy!" Wilbur called from the pavilion, "You guys mind coming over here."

"Oh gosh," Crumb muttered as they walked over to where Wilbur was standing. "He's going to prank us isn't he?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Wilbur grinned as someone snuck up behind them.

"What are you doing in my swamp," he growled, making all of them jump and Wilbur started laughing.

"Hey Charlie!" Schlatt called as he and Tubbo walked into the pavilion. "Scaring the children again?"

"You need to stop doing that," Wilbur said, grinning as he composed himself.

"Okay, first of all," Charlie then let out a few friendly swears towards Wilbur and Schlatt. Tommy looked at Charlie in awe, learning new words he'd never heard before.

"Okay," Tubbo said, steering Tommy away from him. "Maybe we should go. Nice seeing you Charlie."

"Yeah, stop teaching the kids swears," Schlatt said, covering Tubbo's ears.

"Dad!" Tubbo complained, brushing his hands away. "Tommy, you know my dad, right?"

"Yeah, President JSchlatt," Tommy said, shaking Schlatt's hand.

"Please you're a friend of Tubbo's, it's just Schlatt," he said.

"Okay, Schlatt," Tommy said, "it's nice to meet you."

"Good to finally meet you as well, I've heard nothing but good things about you." Schlatt said, "So what brings you to Airbender Island?"

"I- um, training for the probending tournament," Tommy said, Schlatt's question reassured him that the man was unaware of Tubbo thinking he was the Avatar.

"Well you certainly choose the right place to train," Schlatt ruffled Tubbo's hair, "As much as I'd like to stay and chat with Wilbur and Charlie I have to go."

"But you said-" Tubbo protested.

"I know, but something came up," Schlatt said, he sounded apologetic as Tubbo looked down at the ground. "Hey, maybe you and your friends could come have dinner tonight at our place. Would you be able to come, Tommy?"

"I don't think I can, I already made plans with Sapnap and George," Tommy said, and he didn't think Clay would appreciate him changing plans at the last minute. "Maybe next time."

"I'll try to make plans sooner next time," Schlatt said then walked away. Seeing this Charlie ran after him to catch up.

"He was cool, and weird," Tommy said, talking about Charlie. "But mostly cool."

"That's Charlie Slimesicle for you," Wilbur laughed.

"Are you sure you can't come tonight," Tubbo asked.