24 - In Hiding

"Where are we going," Ranboo asked as Tommy and Philza slept on the back of the bison. "And why does Phil not like it?"

"To one of the most secure places on the planet," Techno said. "That just so happens to be the prison of a man who nearly killed Avatar Korra and the next generation of airbenders."

"Including Phil," Ranboo said, Techno nodded. "That's crazy to think about. I can see why he didn't want to go, especially with Tommy coming."

"Good news is that it's been over 30 years since the event so there's no chance of him escaping," Techno said.

"Yeah, I guess so." Ranboo said. They flew through the night over the Earth Kingdom eventually coming to a secluded mountain range. Techno directed Baba down to a cave where two White Lotus guards just outside along with a few other locals.

"Chief Technoblade, we weren't expecting you here." One said.

"I'm not, officially, no one can know of my visit," Techno said, standing up tall and intimidating. "My friends and I require a place to stay."

"Fo-for how long," One woman stammered, wearing green and brown clothing.

"A week or so," Techno said, Ranboo was waking up Philza and Tommy so they could be involved in this discussion.

"I have a few spare bedrooms," A young man with brown hair said. He wore similar clothing to the woman and was just as tall as Ranboo. "And I won't be bothering you."

"Thank you young man," Phil said. "We appreciate your help."

"Always happy to be of service," He grinned, respecting each of them with their unique tribal greeting. "The name's Carter."

"Now," Techno cleared his throat. "Tommy come with me, you two get this housing situation figured out."

"Huh," Carter glanced from Tommy to Ranboo then gestured for them to follow him, shaking his head quickly.

"Why did you need me?" Tommy said as Techno grabbed a torch and they traveled deeper into the caves. He seemed to know where he was going. "Other than the obvious."

"Because I believe, like he did with me, someone here can help you," Techno said. "But if Phil knew what we're doing he'd try and stop us. This will be our one chance to talk to him."

"Who," Tommy said. Techno used some water to put out the fire as they reached a large cave covered in green crystals. In the middle of the cave was a man dressed in grey robes and a long unkempt beard. He was floating in the center with chains connecting him to the ground.

"Zaheer," Techno said, holding himself higher and looking more menacing than Tommy had ever seen. Tommy looked between the two men and started shifting from foot to foot, this situation felt too familiar to him and not in a good way.

"Hello Technoblade, I thought you said you would never be back," Zaheer said. "But times change don't they?"

"I think you can figure out why we're here on your own," Techno said.

"He's the Avatar," He sounded a bit surprised as he looked Tommy up and down. "Interesting."

"What," Tommy demanded.

"Well in short, you shouldn't exist," Zaheer started, making Tommy's confident facade immediately crumble.

"Yes, I'm aware of your opinion that the Avatar puts off the balance of the world,," Techno said, but he didn't think that Zaheer was completely wrong.

"No, what I mean is that without Ravaa's spirit he wouldn't exist." Zaheer said. "All the previous Avatars didn't solely rely on Ravaa to live. Avatar Korra was even able to still exist without the spirit of Ravaa because she had her own spirit to keep her alive."

"So I'm only alive to be the Avatar," Tommy said. He didn't want to hear anymore, he left the way they came, leaving Techno and Zaheer to talk.

"You wanted the truth, now you have it," Zaheer said. "It's not always what you want to hear."

"He also has trouble bending the other elements, would this be why," Techno said.

"No, he still has the capability to bend all the elements, whatever block he has is something he needs to sort out," Zaheer said. "You do know a way to do that."

"No, we have time to train him," Techno said, it was too brutal, especially to do to someone Phil clearly cared about.

"Something is spreading in Republic City, and soon you'll be willing to do anything." Zaheer said, "Even break your oath."

Techno shook his head, but didn't say anything. He too knew that if it ever came to it, he would do anything to protect Philza, and now Ranboo. And if that meant helping Tommy so be it. He left the smirking Zaheer to follow where Tommy had gone. He found the teen standing at the entrance of the tunnel, he moved the dirt around with the heel of his boot.

"What do we do," Tommy said, the unsaid question clear to Techno. Do we tell the others?

"We focus on training, that's why we came in the first place," Techno said. "This is something that should stay with as few people as possible."

"Yes," Tommy nodded. "But I can't firebend. I've tried but nothing we've done has worked."

"I improved Ranboo's bending, but maybe we're focusing on the wrong thing," Techno said, they began walking to the cabins built into the mountains. He hoped this wasn't crossing any lines with the kid. "Your mind seems elsewhere."

"I don't like to talk about it," Tommy said, what went on while he had lived with Clay was his problem to deal with, no one else's.

"Trust me, internal conflict isn't something you should keep to yourself." Techno said, speaking from experience, "I may not be the best at this mental thing, but Phil knows a bit about that stuff."

"I don't know," Tommy said. "Is there anything else we could do that doesn't involve talking about my feelings?"

"Eh," Techno said, but there was something, a way that might force Tommy's firebending.

"Oh," Tommy looked down at his feet. He stayed silent as they came outside and headed towards Carter's house. Inside Phil stood with his arms folded, his gaze focused on Techno.

"Tommy, go find Ranboo, he can walk you through some of the forms." Phil said. Not wanting to be caught in the middle of whatever argument might be coming Tommy listened, racing up the stairs where Carter was gesturing for him.

"Why?" Phil said.

"I think you already know," Techno said. "It was necessary."

"What did you find out," Phil said. What's done was done, there was no point in holding a grudge, not against his friend.

"It's complicated," Techno said, "In short he's definitely the one. And the reason he can't firebend is because of some mental block he refuses to talk about."

"I'm aware of that, his relationship with his brother is... not the greatest. Much worse than normal sibling rivalry." Phil said, not going further into what he knew. It wasn't his place to share Tommy's personal information. "What now?"

"What do you think of me doing something that might force his firebending?" Techno said.

"You are going to have to convince him first, and you'll make a lot of people mad," Phil nervously laughed.

"Maybe that's the point, I'm tired of cowering Philza. We're doing this my way."

Yes, and here's the start of many big reveals. I've had this planned for ages I just couldn't find a good way to write the chapter. Apologies for the gap, I've had to double down on school and couldn't get past my writers block during winter break.

Thank you all for reading! Please vote and comment I like reading and responding to them. Peace out benders and Minecrafters from around the world!