12 - The Spirit World

It wasn't until Technoblade got another letter from Master Jinora confirming she had possibly found the Avatar that Ranboo finally agreed to go back to Republic City.

"Hey, before you go," Techno handed a letter to Ranboo as they stood in the spirit forest before the portal into the spirit world. "Give this to someone named Philza."

"I will," Ranboo felt by his side, making sure the little pouch that held the book he kept all of his memories written down was still secured to his clothing. "Maybe you'll come visit Republic City?"

"No, I don't want anything to do with whatever problems they're facing," Techno said. He held out his hand and Ranboo shook it.

"Then I'll be sure to pay a visit, and send plenty of letters," Ranboo promised.

"That is if you remember," Techno said.

"I'll have to write it down then," Ranboo said, he smiled, he was going to miss all the joking and fun they had.

"Don't tell anyone this, but I'll miss you kid," Techno said, making Ranboo chuckle. "I hope you figure out your past and perhaps even find some of your family."

"Why do you think I'm going through the spirit world," Ranboo said. He had originally planned to travel to Republic City by boat, but he realized that the spirits would be able to provide him clarity and guidance before even stepping foot in the city. "It's been an honor to know you Chief Technoblade. I hope our paths cross again soon. May Raava guide you on your journey."

"And may Raava guide you on yours," Techno put his hands together and bowed to the teen, Ranboo then returned the gesture. He then entered the portal.

The Spirit World caught Ranboo off guard; he'd heard from Techno what it was like the last time he entered it, but it had changed since then. The tree of time appeared mostly the same, the main change being the green and black tendrils wrapped around the base. Vast jungles and forests surrounded the two portals between the water tribes, a hazy red fog limited his vision. Ranboo took a deep breath, and started his journey through the forest.

The forest got thicker as he walked through it and there appeared to be no way out, he might have already gotten lost. There were no spirits in sight to possibly help him. No light escaped through the canopy of leaves above, Ranboo started to feel cold. What was up with the spirit world?

"Hello! Anyone there," he called, spirits were supposed to help, right? "Can any spirit help me?"

"Jeez kid, no need to yell," someone came by holding a lantern. "I saw you coming from miles away." She was an older woman with gray hair that was tied back and bangs that almost covered her wide gray eyes.

"Who-who are you?" Ranboo asked, but she just laughed.

"You're serious? What have they been teaching kids recently," She shook her head. "Alright let's get out of this forest."

"Okay," Ranboo said, following her through the forest. Eventually they reached a small clearing where an older man Ranboo did recognize sat with a few spirits. "You're General Iroh. It's an honor to meet you, sir."

"Oh, so you know who he is, but not me," She grumbled.

"No offence ma'am I'm a firebender, I lived in the fire nation for a good part of my life," Ranboo said, sitting down in an empty chair.

"Heh, should have known, no one talks about me now do they," she said, sitting down next to him and propping her feet on the table. "At least tell me you've heard of the Beifongs."

"Yeah, I went to Zaofu while looking for the Avatar at one point," Ranboo said. Iroh poured a mug of tea and passed it to the teen. "My memory is foggy of the place though."

"Well I'm Toph, someone you really should be hearing about in history," she said smugly.

Ranboo laughed, "Why wouldn't you be in history books?"

"Probably because some people don't want to admit a blind woman helped two Avatars save the world, and I invented metalbending," Toph said.

"Then how are you able to see in the Spirit World," Ranboo asked.

"I don't know, I can't earthbend here but I see here in a very similar way I did when I was in The Swamp," Toph said, she hadn't really thought too much of it. She had such a strong connection to The Swamp's spirit vines and felt the same connection to the Spirit World.

"Cool, that's cool," Ranboo said, another question tugged at the back of his mind but he didn't want to overload them with questions.

"So what brings you to the Spirit World young man," Iroh asked.

"I- I guess a want for clarity," Ranboo said, "I'm supposed to go to Republic City, I've wanted to see if the Avatar could help me for years. But now that they've found him, I'm not sure anymore."

"Well perhaps, by helping the Avatar on his journey, you'll be able to find the answers you're looking for," Iroh said, "Although, you're welcome to stay here as long as you like."

"Is there anywhere I could go to do some research," Ranboo said. "Perhaps the Spirit World has a library."

"I mean there is one, I didn't care much for it though," Toph said, but this had gotten Ranboo excited. Being in the Spirit World made him realize that the answers he was looking for might be spiritual instead of physical. He stood up and started off. "Thank you, both of you. I'll be sure to visit and let you know how it goes."

"It's the other way, kid," Toph said, making Ranboo nervously chuckle and go in the opposite direction he originally went.

"Thank you," And he disappeared into the forest.

"He reminds me of Aang, excitable," Iroh said.

"Ha, he would have made a great twinkle toes, too bad he's a firebender," Toph said. "You know something, don't you?"

"Not everything you think I do, you of all people should know our age is mistaken for wisdom." Iroh said.

"Not me, I'm as old as I am clever." Toph said. "What does the Spirit World look like anyway?" Iroh described the area around them in a way she would understand, as he did Toph remembered Aang explaining it to her in a similar way, except he had described it as much dimmer and duller than Iroh was. "Was it always like this?"

"No, in Avatar Korra's time it was much brighter, friendlier," Iroh said, the spirits humming in agreement.

"You don't think that the Spirit World changes to reflect the Avatar," Toph said.

Iroh stroked his beard, "it's a possibility."

Yay! Another Ranboo chapter, for reasons to be revealed I really enjoyed writing this chapter. Just like Technocontent it's rare, but good. (This is in no way me comparing myself to the Blood God Technoblade)

QotC: Is there anything you think I can improve? Literally anything, this is all for improving me and my writing

Thank you for reading, please vote and comment! Peace out benders and Minecrafters from around the world!