31 - Return to the Spirit World

Ranboo watched as Jinora's spirit disappeared. Techno had tried to talk him out of it, but there was nothing he could say. Tommy needed help and he knew how to help him. Ranboo looked around, getting reacquainted with his surroundings. The grass at his feet was brown and seemed to be spreading from the Spirit Portal, which had turned black and red much like the other side of it. Whatever was happening had started to seep into the Spirit World. He started away from the portal, following the decay of the grass deeper into the plains. The red mist had grown thicker from the last time they had visited the world. He kept the Republic City portal behind him, using it as a guide. Ranboo was heading towards the water tribe portals, hoping to perhaps find him by the Tree of Time where the spiritual energy would be the strongest. And maybe they would run into Toph and Iroh again.

The walk felt like hours, Ranboo lost track of time as he trekked through the endless forests of the Spirit World having no idea where he was. Spirits were scarce and seemed to be hiding from him. They came upon the Tree of Time to see like he expected, Tommy. His spirit was white with the blue markings of Ravaa on his chest and seemed to be held in place by red vines, black crystals circling the air around him. Ranboo approached slowly, but Tommy made no movement to show that he had seen them.

"Tommy," He called, still no response, "Tommy we have to get you out of here." As he stepped forward the vines gipping onto the spirit lashed out at him. He gasped as they pulled him down and he suddenly found himself inside a manor he had only seen once. He looked around to find a younger Tommy standing in front of Clay. Tommy wore a green t-shirt with long red sleeves and dark green pants.

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again," Tommy was saying. "I just wanted to watch."

"I expect it never to happen again," Clay said, "seeing as I can no longer trust you to stay home alone, I'm asking a friend to watch you every day. Now go, it's been a long day for me."

"I'm sorry," Tommy sighed, shaking. As he went down the hall Ranboo followed, maybe he could pull Tommy out of this memory. "I don't deserve his kindness, I always mess up. He just cares about me. He just wants to protect me. He wants to watch...me."

"Tommy, this isn't real, this already happened, it's in the past." Ranboo tried to grab the younger boy's shoulders but the memory dissolved as he did. "Tommy?"

He was brought to Airbender Island, watching as Tommy and Asami walked up to the training area where airbenders were sparring.

"I shouldn't be here, I shouldn't be here, I shouldn't be here," Tommy kept repeating, he looked the same age he was now. His hands shook and he gripped onto the hem of his shirt.

"You're safe here," Asami said, "I promise I won't let anything happen to you. And here's who I wanted you to meet now."

"Asami," It was Tubbo, Ranboo smiled at him. He looked so happy. "You're here. Is this Tommy?"

"Yes, I was hoping you could find something fun for you boys to do," Asami gave Tommy a warm smile. "Tommy could use a friend."

"Yes, of course, I know a few things we can do," Tubbo said, "I'm Tubbo. Do you like animals?"

"Um, yeah," Tommy said.

"Great, we have a load of bison here," Tubbo said, "I'll show you them."

"Go," Asami said gently, when Tommy looked at her. "Have fun."

Tommy smiled and the memory dissolved as he ran after Tubbo.

The next memory was more familiar to Ranboo. He was back in the spirit wilds, crimson vines surrounding him. They saw as Tommy ran by, he pulled water from one of the vines and sent it at two people he didn't know. One wore a black hoodie with white accents and black jeans, the other wore earthbending garb as he sent rocks at Tommy. Tommy used water to break apart the rocks then pulled vines down to block the others from getting to him. He continued running then froze. Ranboo looked where he had gone, his own eyes widening. It was Tubbo. The airbender's normal green t-shirt and blue pants had faded in color. Red veins criss crossed his body and seeped into his face.